1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Screw myself out of deep litter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kira782, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kira782

kira782 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    It's amazing. No matter how long and hard I thought about all the little details I wanted my coop (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=542609) to have I still forgot to raise the pop door so I can do deep litter! Currently it sits flush with the ground and measures 13" x 16". The opening is framed in place so moving it is more trouble than it is worth. If I put a 6" board in front of it will my large breed chickens be able to squeeze through a 10" high opening? I'm new to chickens and can't quite grasp of how big a full grown one is or how they maneuver!

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    No big deal. They still go through the opening. Our hens will sneak through under a 3" to 4" gap. Later, if you think it's too much of a bottleneck, just remove the board. Yes, some litter will spill out, no big deal.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

We did the same thing! The door is flush with the floor and we have pine in the run always. I guess when someone asks the question..."what would you change if you were to build your coop over" we know what to tell them!

4. Mia_

Mia_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    South Puget Sound
    I am new to chickens, but last week I had to increase the door from 10" to 12" (or was it 12" to 14"?) because they were rubbing their backs on the top of the door. At that point, the chickens were 6 weeks old. I should say that they are CornishX, but I expect my Dark Cornish to at least be that size when full grown.

I need to do some research but, could you not put so much litter in front of the door? Like make a little ramp of littler inside the door? If you are doing shavings, I would think the chickens would be swimming in it, but I think for straw, it would work well.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had my 10.5 lb rooster squeeze his fat butt through a 7x9 inch nest box hole, 10x13 is plenty large for the birds to get in and out of.

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hey, They will get thru. Not to worry. When they are ready to get out, they'll get out.
    Erik

7. kira782

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    I think I just answered my own question! If I build an interior barrier like this using 4x6s that should give the chickens enough room to hop down and out right? Can anyone think of a downside to this approach?

[​IMG]

8. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:4 X 6's ? --- downsides = Weight & wood cost. -- I would probably opt for 1X6 fencing boards.

9. kira782

May 18, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    Sorry, I meant 2x6, my brain isnt working! I have a spare one from the roof I believe.

10. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I think that's a great solution, thats what I was going to suggest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by