Screw the good old days...

My grandma lived without electricity or running water the first fifty-some-odd years of her life (born in 1904, moved to town where they had electricity, running water, and flush toilets in the very late 1950's.

When I was a kid in the seventies, during the bicentennial and the back-to-the-land movement, her attitude towards people who were so crazy about antiques etc was, "if they had to live with that #(&@# all their lives they wouldn't be so wild about it!"

She was never so glad in her life as when she had conveniences and life wasn't so hard. She missed having chickens and was glad when they got a wood stove again (to supplement the furnace), and said that homemade bread was the best (though she only made it for holidays) but that was about it.

She ADORED kitchen gadgets and had 2 or 3 different sizes of electric deep fryers, etc.

DH asked what an Ipod was for yesterday. He still doesn't want one.
gig.gif
However, he is LOVES XM radio! The carpet cleaner was awesome until we got wood floor. Now, we can't imagine life without a wood floor. SO easy to care for!!!

I can't imagine life without the Dyson vacuum! It is awesome and works on wood/tile very well! And the bread maker for the dough setting!!! I like to bake bread when I get the chance and bake it in the oven, but the dough setting on the bread maker makes the first few steps SO much easier! All I have to do is shape it, let it rise and pop it in the oven!

DH LOVES the electric griddle and his power tools! (The idea of building a coop with with a saw and screw driver is horrible!
lau.gif
)

Quote:
Oh yes, the crockpot. Throw ingredients in, forget about it for 4-6 hours, then have a tasty meal.

And the cordless drill.

I use the old-fashioned way when it yields a better end product. Otherwise, technology all the way. With all the time these lovely gadgets save me and the conveniences they offer, I can hold down a job, go to school full time, AND be a stay at home mom.

Tampons and maxipads. Oh and modern medicine. When my hubby's grandma went to the hospital to have his Uncle Larry he was breach. So the doctors put her in a room to die all by herself. Somehow she pushed out Uncle Larry who is now in his mid 70's. She lived to be 90 years old.

Back
Top Bottom