1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Screw/washer alternative for hardware cloth ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ruralhideaway, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I'll be installing hardware cloth soon, quite a bit between now and spring.

For some spots I've used lathe screws with big heads but that was on smaller mesh. I truly hate how slow things go when you are threading screws through washers, wondering if anyone knows a one piece screw solution. Seems there must be something out there with heads big enough for half inch HC.

Anyone? Thanks!

2. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    I didn't use screws at all. I used a pneumatic (compressed air) staple gun and staples. Heckuva lot faster than screws.

3. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    What staple size will that install? I don't have a compressor but could borrow possibly.

4. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    They come in many different sizes. I think mine were about 3/4 inch. They also make electric staplers.

Farmer Connie likes this.
  5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Unless they are staples that I'm not familiar with, standard staples are not sturdy enough to keep a predator from ripping the hdw cloth off. I am fond of fender washers and outdoor screws. Depending on the application, lath strips and screws, or sandwiching the hdw cloth between 2 boards that make up the trim work works well. When I did my windows, I bent the hdw cloth at 90* angle, so each edge at the bend had 1" to make the hdw cloth less floppy, then, the "flange could be screwed with lath, or fender washers from the INSIDE of the window. To my knowledge, fencing staples are the only ones that are sturdy enough to stand up to predator demolition tactics.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging 6 Years

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    We use fencing staples, usually 3/4" long, pounded in with a hammer. Then 1"x4" boards screwed in over the top. Over the lower 4' of the run, we also added 2"x4" woven wire fencing, stapled and then under those boards that are screwed to the framing. It's sturdy, and I'll add electric if/ when the bears arrive.
    Mary

7. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Something like this.. 20180113_162022.png
    Diameter #8-10
    Drive Phillips
    Finish Black Phosphate
    Head Round Washer
    Head Dia. 1/2"
    Length 1"
    Point Type 17
    System of Measurement Inch
    Type Wood Screw

SwtGrc and CapricornFarm like this.
  8. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    That head would not be big enough. It might work with 1/4, but even then, I'd not trust it. There would not be enough coverage to keep the wire from bending enough to slide over the head, if a pred were determined.

Folly's place and Ruralhideaway like this.
  9. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I think you're right. Hoping there's something a bit bigger. I'm lazy I want to just grab screws and keep moving.

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I honestly don't find it difficult to jab a screw through a fender washer on it's way to the wood.

Ruralhideaway and SunHwaKwon like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: