screwed up now what do i do????

clucksbc

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 9, 2011
ok...i have gotten quite a few very cheap young turkeys...was planning on brinning one for christmas 24th dinner...
i don't know what i was thinking (actually i do..running out of freezer space)...
but one got in the fridge...is just to the thaw point...should..i start it in a brind...or should i to be safe refreese it...(can i do that) and thaw another ...it is 8 kg

A lot of people cool the bird for 4 or 5 days before freezing or cooking. Did you cool the bird first? You will be fine if you didn't cool the bird for a week before freezing. It is supposed to let the muscels release from the rigers. You only have 4 more days, if it is still frosty I wouldn;t worry. But that is me. As long as yo have defrosted in the fridge. I put one in brine for 24 hous before cooking. If it is still frozen it won't take the brine, will it?

ok...thanks 4 your replys...maybe i will just cook it..seems crazy though...because..we just had turkey last saturday, as a welcome home meal ..and there's christmas....I think i see lots of canned turkey in our future...
caspernc...I am a bit ashamed to say that they are store bought...i do try and get my meat from farm source...but i didn't find someone selling ..If we had more space...I would love to raise..turkeys..

Anything that is safe to eat is safe to freeze. When we make sausage we thaw meat out grind it up, season it, stuff it in casings, hang it in a smoke house for a day and smoke it and then refreeze it....it's fine. As long as the food is handled safely the whole time it will be fine.

Personally what I would do is cut the bird up and package the breasts, legs, wings and other body parts separately then refreeze for use later and use another turkey for the dinner. But that's just me. I often thaw out chickens that I plan to use only the breasts then I repackage and refreeze the rest of the bird for another recipe. I have been doing that for years and haven't had any problems.

You don't want to leave cooked food sitting in the frig too long. Most websites will tell you two days, my personal limit is a week,,,after that it's dog food.

I would not brine for 5 days. You will end up with a turkey ham.

I like the idea to part it out and put it back into the freezer. It will last better in the freezer if it is raw. Cooked turkey goes off relatively quickly, even in a good deep freeze (not dangerous, but it goes rancid and the flavor is off).

Or, if you can, put it up in jars for easy turkey salad sandwiches next summer.

betty that is very good to know I can refreese...i will keep that in mind
I have just decided to cook it up and it is in the oven now....i like the idea of making turkey sausages...should try that...
Are there any particular spices you add that work well???
Oregan Blue...i absolutely agree...don't really like frozen cooked turkey...is just bland...but...I absolutely love canned turkey...
comes out tasting just as fresh as freashly cook .. thats whats gonna happen with this bird..

I personally like Alton Brown's recipe for what he calls Italian sausage, I just substitute turkey for the pork and then I also smoke it.

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
  • 2 pounds pork butt (2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 5 feet of 36 millimeter collagen casings (do not allow to get wet at any time)
  • Shortening, to lubricate nozzle of stuffer
  • Special equipment: meat grinder with stuffing attachment or manual stuffer
Directions

Toast fennel seed in medium sized, heavy saute pan over medium heat, constantly moving seeds around in pan until they start to turn light brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Once cool, grind seeds and combine with salt, pepper, and chopped parsley in medium mixing bowl. Add pork and blend thoroughly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the pork. After lubricating stuffer or stuffing attachment with shortening, load casing onto attachment, clipping end with a clothespin. Stuff meat into casings, trying to avoid air pockets. After stuffing is finished lay out on counter and tie off end. Pinch and twist to form 4-inch sausages. Wrap in parchment paper and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. Store in refrigerator for use within 2 to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing, wrap in aluminum foil. If using immediately, saute over medium heat in a heavy saute pan with 1/4-inch of water. Bring water to boil, put on lid and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking over medium heat, turning every 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Sausage should reach an internal temperature of 150 to 156 degrees F.

Back
Top Bottom