screwed up post where i got no answers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by backyardklukker, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backyardklukker

backyardklukker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    NEVERMIND< THE BIRD DIED!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your flock had one of the many respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma gallisepticum or CRD, infectious bronchitis, coryza, ILT, and others. Most of these diseases are chronic, meaning they may get them again, they are never fully cured, and all birds in the flock become carriers for life. That said many people who have chickens have dealt with these diseases before, and some will cull birds with any of these diseases, some cull for some of them, and some choose to try and treat. Since all of your birds got sick you probably have a fairly strong strain of CRD. But you would have to get a bird tested to know for sure. Was there any bad odor from the sick chickens" faces? Coryza causes foul smelling nasal discharge with swollen faces. I would probably stock up on some Tylan Soluble Powder or Tylan50 injectible, since these things can build up a resistance to antibiotics. If I were you I would maintain a closed flock--no more in, and none out until these chickens die. You can eat the eggs, but do not sell hatching eggs because CRD is transmitted through the eggs. Here is a good list of common diseases with helpful info: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    I own 70 birds and every one of them came from different places over the last 2 months. And almost every bird was sick.....could they not just be allergic to something? I just wormed them with ivomec pour on.....they were all sick and healed in a matter of 5 days total? How could a disease come and go so quickly from birds who have no relation and came from so many places?

4. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    I can't wait until they die. Some of them are only 3 months old, most are only 7 months or less, and I got them to sell the eggs for hatching...

5. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    There is no foul smelling odor. There was coughing and sneezing in some, and maybe two swollen eyes. Other than that, no other symptoms at all. No foul smelling or anything else. The birds that coughed and sneezed had no other symptoms and otherwise acted completely normal. They still laid eggs and continued their daily routine.......this bird I'm inquiring about with the two swollen eyes is the only case I have that won't go away and is more severe. Even this bird acts completely normal, except for not being able to see.....

6. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    Also stating......all the adult birds came from different places over the last 2 months. The virus affected all of my older adult birds first....it took a several days before it even decided to affect my younger birds. And at the time, they were all mixed together. Why would the adults get sick first if it was infectous bronchitis? Why would any sickness attack an adult bird first and repeatedly pass up the younger birds?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would get the Tylan50--it's about $12, and give your sick hen 1/2 cc/ml into the breast muscle daily for 3 days. If she is large, give and additional 1/2 cc/ml under the skin in the back of the neck. I would suggest you get your sick bird tested by the state vet. If you can sacrifice her, they could do a necropsy and tell you what you have in your flock. If you have CRD and I think it's about 99% sure that you do, you can't sell hatching eggs, or other people will lose their flocks to disease. You can vaccinate your new birds for MG/CRD if you know for sure.

8. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    Who do I contact to get a bird tested?

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    I already have Tylan 50 injectable and have administered it. I also have Tylan 100 powder. So, let me make sure I have this right, after reading a lot on the subject. Because I am very very intelligent.

My birds most likely had gotten a bad case of Infectious Bronchitis....which is ok, because it happens a lot. However, since I didn't give them antibiotics for this at the time they had it, and I waited too long....some of my birds are now going through a secondary infection which is most likely CRD. So, if I cull the one bird with the secondary infection, having treated the IB with Tylan....I will be OK, and I can still sell eggs? Am I correct on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by