scroungy looking leftover chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wvcruffler, May 19, 2009.

1. wvcruffler

wvcruffler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Elkins, WV
    Howdy all,

Well, the first 15 chicks are in the brooder now and are cute, fluffy little chicks. I left about 10 unhatched eggs in last night. Well, this AM there were 5 chicks! This was quite a shock as this is now day 25! They are dried up, scroungy looking things. These chicks looks like they are from the wrong side of the tracks! Anyway, I think they look too sickly to put in with the rest, so I am going to raise them (at least for a few days) separately until they are stronger. It this due to humidity drop? Perhaps they are just the weakest ones. Anyway, I'll take some pics later today.
    Dr.Phil

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    You may wait 24 hours or so till there not so wobbly if you think you need to , I have had some pretty mangy chicks hatch late but they seemed fine besides looking awful.

3. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Poor little monsters. [​IMG]

If the incubator environment was too dry as they hatched, their down will have become sticky, and thus unable to properly dry. Remember, sometimes fair can be foul and foul can be fair. I hope they do fine.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My experience (what little of it I have) has been that the scruffy looks comes from dried egg white and membrane stuck to their fluff. I have "washed" them with a damp warm wash cloth and had good results, and also just plunked them in with the others with equally good results . . . the scruffyness seemed to fade after a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by