Scruffy looking chicks

kklowell

Songster
Mar 2, 2018
Bridgton, Maine
My chicks are about 2.5 weeks old and have a lot of feathers. They look scruffy, like their feathers haven't learned their place yet. They're also doing a lot of what looks like preening and some scratching. They are indoors in a metal stock tank with Koop Klean bedding. Is this scruffiness normal?

I hate pictures in the red light, but here are some I just took
scruffy1.jpg
scruffy3.jpg

Attachments

• scruffy4.jpg
    scruffy4.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 3
Those chicks look perfectly normal to me. The stage of losing their downy fluff and getting their first feathers is kind of an awkward looking stage. Kind of like kids getting their permanent front teeth, which look so big.

I don't, but I do plan to try to come up with one today, tomorrow at the latest. If I have to, I'll separate them into two enclosures, but I really don't have another heat source so that's an issue too.

I don't, but I do plan to try to come up with one today, tomorrow at the latest. If I have to, I'll separate them into two enclosures, but I really don't have another heat source so that's an issue too.
I'd tape together moving boxes before turning them into two flocks that have to be integrated back together later.

Best option is to move them into the coop with their lamp but if it isn't ready yet, go with boxes. Free to cheap and compostable when you're finished with brooding.

Back
Top Bottom