Scrumpy ducks attacking goslings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 2dancingrats, Jun 27, 2010.

1. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    I have two Toulouse geese (goose and gander) and two Indian Runner drakes. Yesterday, we brought home two goslings who are about 8-10 weeks old. The geese were very pleased and paraded them around the yard, taking them to all of their favorite spots and generally doted on them. The drakes, however, are trying to mount the goslings, chasing them around and scaring them half to death. The geese are upset by this, but just do a lot of wing flapping and screaming when the duck go after the goslings.
    I let the geese and goslings out, which was great, but the ducks were very unhappy staying in the barn all afternoon.
    If I let the geese and ducks out, the geese fret and honk and worry about where the goslings are.
    Is this situation likely to improve soon? Should I re-home these goslings? Anyone had a similar experience.
    Thanks soooo much.

ps. I'm also posting this question under geese.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Just let the goslings grow up a little before putting them together with the drakes. It will stop once the little ones are bigger and don't take the garbage from the boys. Can you pen up the ducks separately for a while.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I had a similar problem - I recently got my first geese - three 6 week old goslings. My 3 -4 month old ducks kept picking on them. Well about three days of this and my brown chinese gosling fought back. Took my mallard by the wing and held on! I was so proud of her, lol. But now all six get along like they have never fought a day in their lives. Sleep together, eat together, everything.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Why not rehome the drakes or better yet get some females for them?

5. 2dancingrats

2dancingrats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    Bay City, Michigan
    I have two drakes and no hens. I'm told I would need about a dozen hens to keep with two drakes. Have the room, but not set up for that many ducks right now. Also, wonder if the hens get as "threadbare" as the chickens when there are too many drakes. My two roosters have really trashed my dozen hens with their macho-mating competitions!

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Depends on the drake . Unless its a muscovy - you only need 2 -3 hens per drake. But if its a scovie - Well I say one male to every 6- 10 females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by