scrunched over, fluffed up, no other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kari_dawn, Nov 21, 2011.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have a little bantam (I believe seabright?) that I have been worried about since age day one...it seemed weak when I first got it home. There were no significant or defenative symptoms of any particular ailment, so I decided to try a wait and see approach. As all of the banties came from the same place, they were all going to be compromised if this one was. So, I kept them together. It continued to grow and feather just like the other chicks it was with, and has been doing great...until now. I put them outside about a week ago, and they all seemed great.

Today, I noticed that it was huttled and puffed up, eyes half closed, wings drooped a little. I brought it inside for observation along with the other banties. Poo is a little pale, tan in color, large white cap, but slightly watery. No blood or other abnormalities. The bird's keel is a little pronounced, but not bad. It is eatting and drinking just fine, but obviously does not feel well.

I tried to get a picture, but of course, it perks up a little when I handle it for a shot. Sorry for the poor photo quality...it is a cell phone shot. Cant find my camera atm. If you look, the bird's crop is very full. It has been eatting very well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question is what is my next move? I don't want to just randomly start treating with no end goal. Anyone know what this could be? I thought maybe cocci, but all the other chicks are fine, and I don't see any bloody poo or any other symptoms. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Sorry I don't have anyting definite for you, but based on the description, it could be anything. That's one really full crop - could it be working on an impaction?
    Just throwing that out because there are so many things it could be. At the very least, here's a bump - and I really hope you find out what's going on -

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Thanks I appreciate that. [​IMG]

crop was empty when I brought the bird inside...I gave fresh food/water, and he/she has been pecking away all day. Crop seems to be emptying though.

4. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    She's really cute and appears alert in the photos. Eating / drinking is good, and emptying crop is better! Was it particularly cold where you are? Wonder if it was reacting to cold weather? Just throwing stuff out here ...

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I suppose it could be...are banties more sensitive? I am in North Texas, and it has actually been pretty balmy and breezy for the most part...though the weather has been swinging a bit. Could that cause it? All the other birds are fine, but I don't have as much experience with banties. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I moved them back to their little brooder with a heat pad...they all seem to be doing okay, but the little one Im worried about is still not acting right.

7. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I don't know that banties generally are - it was just a thought because she's been on the edge from the beginning so perhaps she's more sensitive. But if you're not seeing bloody poo, it shouldn't be cocci. Here's a great link to images of normal and not-normal poo that I believe dawg53 posted a while back:
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    lol I am very familiar with that chart. I don't think any other hobby animal keepers are as obsessive with our animal's poo as we chicken keepers are![​IMG]

9. OvertheHenHouse

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Maybe throw some vitamins in the water - and maybe she just wasn't ready to go outside yet. The heat I think will be good for her.
    Love that chart - and you're right about the poo part. I was out there this afternoon sifting through droppings myself [​IMG]
    I sure hope she pulls out of this 'whatever it is' -

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have pedialyte...I use it on the wild ones...will that work for chickens too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by