1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SDW hen or rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BantamTurkey, Jul 5, 2016.

1. BantamTurkey

BantamTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2016
    Bessemer Alabama
    I realize the are not 'what a SDW is supposed to look like', but that's why I wanted them. They are SDW and GDW and were the only two to look like this. All the others a a duckwing pattern. I know for sure that one is a rooster. He's pretty obvious, but the smaller one has me puzzled.... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to post some better pics a little later

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    I'll wait for the better pics...hard to see with the wire and they are fuzzy. How old?

3. BantamTurkey

Jun 16, 2016
    Bessemer Alabama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure how old they are, but I know the one crows pretty well... I'm really thinking more and more that the other is a hen. When I was taking these pics I was thinking how much more 'feminine' this one is than the other.... Idk, what do you think??

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Do you have any idea of the approximate age? Depending on that, I am leaning towards pullet, but if it is younger than 15 weeks or so it has to be a cockerel with the comb and wattles that colour. It definitely looks more feminine than the other, but could be still be a cockerel.

5. BantamTurkey

Jun 16, 2016
    Bessemer Alabama
    I'm about 99% sure it's a little hen :) after really observing behavior and looking closely at her in person and the pics. I've been calling it a her all day. So... Now if it's a boy it's going to be gender confused. It's okay we will still love (him/her) regardless of how (he/she) presents (his/her) self. Lmao
    I crack myself up

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    fingers crossed, I think the little one is a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by