SE PA - Show me your coops... please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Buugette, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I live in South Eastern PA and would love to see what those local use as a coop for 10 chickens or less. Worried about winter and my babies. I only have 6 bantams, and my hubby insists that they stay outside this winter (they were babies last year and lived in my sunroom all winter). If possible, please post pics of the outside, inside and note if you insulated.

Thank you so much.

Diana

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
  3. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:NICE coop! Are your windows open all winter? They did okay last winter? (Perhaps I'm just tooooooooo worried...)

4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Quote:NICE coop! Are your windows open all winter? They did okay last winter? (Perhaps I'm just tooooooooo worried...)

This will by my first winter with this coop. My last coop was actually in the woods and much colder in the winter and they were fine. The top area will remain open, I have closeable windows on there now that are hinged at the top and depending on the weather I prop them open different widths. The door and vents all have plexiglas covers that slide in place. You will need more ventilation than you think. As long as you have wide roosts (2x4 on side) the birds can roost on their feet to keep them warm. The only other thing to watch is their combs. The key is ventilation with out drafts. I also have a metal roof vent on the coop now so I can leave the side windows in the doors closed. All openings are at the top away from my birds. The coop is not insulated nor is it heated. There will be a water heater as needed.

5. ktbarns.com

ktbarns.com Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    Ohio
    Here are some coops you may like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Lancaster county girl here. This is my almost free (Craigslist doghouse, used lumber) coop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The doghouse is insulated. Keep your eyes open and you may just get lucky!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. Buugette

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Thanks everyone...

Question - ZombieChickens - How many do you have in your little coop?

I have a 2 1/2 by 3 ft little coop.

[​IMG]

I have 6 bantams... 3 silkies and 3 polish. I was worried they wouldn't have enough room over the winter if they had to stay in the coop... but I'm getting the idea that they spend time outside in the cold? If they are closed up good at night with proper ventilation they should be fine? Doesn't seem like much room to move around, but then again, I guess they won't be dancing in the coop... just mine seems sooooooooooooooo small.

D

9. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately, I have too many in my coop. There are 5 RIRs and one belgian banty. I'm looking at trying to get a bigger structure, hopefully an outhouse, before winter. And also a Barred Rock and an EE or two. [​IMG] But for now it's ok for them.

10. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Quote:I love your coop!!! - did you build it or buy it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by