Seabright chicks sickly/crop bloats

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Keepin A Breast, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Keepin A Breast

Keepin A Breast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    These chicks were so small that they were being trampled and were not eating or drinking at the store. They had them in with Polish chicks who had already trampled one to death. SOMEONE had to save them right?

I have done all the things I normally do with chicks. Sav a Chick, alternated with sugar water, then plain water, moistened feed mixed with milk kefir and boiled egg yolk. I started out with seven the first day, and one immediately died. The other one who died next acted sleepy and never really "woke" up and also had a breathing issue, also when I gave drops of water to try and perk it up, the crop swelled up like sour crop. I debated giving a little dilute vinegar water, but they are SO small!! What should I do?

Now the biggest and healthiest one is "lethargic" and when I just tried to give it some water the crop is doing the same thing. Almost like a gas bubble?? Is this some kind of disease?

I am not sure what else to give them. Milk kefir is full of probiotics. The other four are acting great and very active, but so was the lethargic one last night.

Brooder is set up so that they can go in with my blind hen who is also mothering a few other chicks, the biggest whom cannot get in with these small ones. They run back and forth freely and have ample room to get away from heat/cold. I have had A LOT of chicks and never seen this.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Sounds like you are doing all you can for them. [​IMG] I would practice strict biosecurity so, incase they have something, you don't introduce it to your other birds.

3. Keepin A Breast

Mar 19, 2012
    Its some kind of infection in the crop. What dilution of vinegar water would I give this bird, or would molasses be better?

4. Keepin A Breast

Mar 19, 2012
    By the evening of my last post, chick was almost dead. In case someone else comes along and reads this I ended up getting a 1% myconozole from the vet, diluted it in water and gave a few drops every couple hours for about six hours. Chick was still alive the next morning. We medicated again in the morning before work and this evening chick seems completely recovered except still a much smaller amount of soft swelling in the crop. [​IMG]

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    That's Great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by