Seabright sitting eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SEHCAL, Jan 15, 2013.

1. SEHCAL

SEHCAL New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Heflin,al
    Have any seabright owners ever had one sit eggs this time of year? The guy i got them from said they only would during spring.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If from a broody strain, it might be unlikely but not impossible that one might set this time of year. The sebrights (silver) that I once had were from a strain that never went broody.

3. SEHCAL

SEHCAL New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Heflin,al
    Alright thanks.

4. SEHCAL

SEHCAL New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Heflin,al
    She has ten eggs now didnt lay today. Should i pull the eggs and incubate or leave them for a few more days to see if she will sit?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be tempted to crank up the incubator.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a Silver Sebright hen which has gone broody twice; she's just under three years old. Wait, she went broody a third time and gave up finally when no eggs hatched (I had to rehome her husband and brother-husband because they were so loud) after a full month. Not in winter, though.

I also had a Golden Sebright hen which went broody twice but died egg bound, afterwards (before I had any clue about what an egg bound hen acted like..)

There were a few sebright-bantam Cochin mixes in my flock for a while; but that daddy is gone too.

7. SEHCAL

SEHCAL New Egg

Dec 28, 2012
    Heflin,al
    Hmmm sorry to hear that. So i think im gonna try incubating the ones she has. If no luck ill probably just give up until spring. Thanks for the info. I hope i can at least hatch out a couple this year.

8. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    I had a little buff seabright hen, who was on her first laying season, go broody this past July. I didn't have any roosters and she hid her nest in my tack shed on the top shelf. I found her about a week after she decided to set and pulled all 8 of her non fertile eggs. The temperature in the shed at that time was about 112. She continued to set on her hot no egg nest for over a month before she finally gave up. Two days after she came off the nest she was caught and killed by a bobcat. So sad !! Yes, Seabrights will brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by