Seagulls?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Big Dreamer, May 25, 2011.

1. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Anyone have seagulls? Is it even legal? I think they are beautiful even though i live in florida and see them almost everyday. i think it would be cool to see if any one had them and they'r setups!

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I believe you need a federal permit. I am also interested in trying out a captive gull or two someday. I hear when kept on a healthy, natural diet, their poop isn't as nasty as that of most scavenging street gulls. I also hear preparing a proper diet for them is one of the hardest parts of keeping one. They are also capable of giving you a right good chomp.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    Well, out here, in coastal New England, where there are skyrats by the billions, they seem to do pretty well on a steady diet of garbage from the landfills. I guess if you live inland and don't see them very often, they may have some apeal to people, but those of us that live amongst the "dump chickens" get a little smile on our faces if we see one splattered on the road while driving.

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Quote:Oh god!!! LOL!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Well if your serious about getting Gulls they are out there. I believe they were a type of Australian Gull, and they were big$. But they were on softbillsforsale.com awhile ago. And being from Aust. no permit needed.

6. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Ah, good point. Non-native gulls need no permit. But, be careful about the softbillsforsale site. A ton of scammers seem to hang around there. I received seven replies for a wanted ad I posted for fertile dove/pigeon or starling eggs. Each one was an obvious scam.

7. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Any native Gull would require a Fed and State permit that is very hard to get. You would have to submit a proposal for WHY you want them (research, eductaion). Your facilities would problby be inspected to assure they are adequate. Gulls are not easy or cheap to keep. You need a large flight, and they need a varied diet of fish and crustaceans. Non-native gulls can be purchased, but their care requirements are similar. It's a HUGE commitment.

Clint

8. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
  9. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Quote:Starling eggs? Here in NY it's a crime to possess one. They are so destructive here. If you do manage to capture one DEC wants you to "dispatch" it.

10. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Because they are invasive, in most states they are legal to keep without a permit, but illegal to release them (same with feral pidges). But, the non native kinds (well, non native, non invasive) are, well, expensive, but also legal. [​IMG]. But I don't doubt some states have kill on sight orders for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by