sealing a chicken coop floor.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by scott37, Dec 30, 2013.

1. scott37

scott37 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    cherry valley California
    Almost done with my coop but wanted to know what to use to seal the floor. I was told Thompson water sealer. But I wanted to make sure it is safe for my girls. Thanks...

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thompson water seal is a waste of money IMO, as it needs to be reapplied often so especially not a great choice for a coop floor...but once dry it probably wouldn't hurt the chooks.

Lots of people use sheet or tile vinyl....or Blackjack57 which is a roll or brush on roofing material.

I used sheet vinyl for a seamless water proof barrier.

There's lots of options, so a search on 'floor' and you'll find lots of ideas.

advanced search>titles only>floor

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    We use a 8 x 10 tarp that fits the coop almost perfectly. Does a great job and I think will come in handy in the spring when we move some of the deep litter to the garden. We should be able to lift the corners and pull the entire tarp - with litter - out for cleaning.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    We used some of those self-adhesive linoleum tiles, since that provided the cheapest route at the time. I would NOT do this again. The tiles easily pull up after a short while and once that happens they will never go back down after the bedding gets wedged underneath.

I had planned on replacing the tiles with a sheet of linoleum this spring, but I like Mt Laurel's idea very much. Tarps are cheaper than linoleum, and the possibility of removing the tarp completely for cleaning is a very attractive option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by