Sealing and draft issues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moodlymoo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I just noticed shavings on the ground and found a lot of areas that will be draft issues. What can i use that is quick and easy to fix the problems?

2. Hauntedyards

Hauntedyards Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Would they bother with spray foam? maybe nail a 2x2 over top...

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are they just tiny cracks where the wood didn't quite meet up tightly or big gaps?

Painting seals some tiny cracks.

A little putty fills in a bit larger crack, which you can also paint over when it's dry. The problem with spray foam would be that most chickens like to peck at foam.

If you have larger gaps, maybe post a picture or describe the problem a little more. You could attach a small piece of wood over a larger gap, on the inside.

4. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    You want plenty of ventilation in your coop so a little draft isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially in Portland, OR. We just moved from Eugene and the climate in the NW is such that your chickens probably won't get too cold (assuming they're fully feathered). Not sure the details of your situation, but as long as predators can't get into your coop, you'll probably be ok. Good luck.

5. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Caulk works.

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Well its ablou 10in long and about 1/2in wide and bedding is falling out along the floor. Im sure I could just use a 2x2 and fix it but its in a very hard to reach place as far back as it could be. I have some spray stuff and can access it from outside I may try that in a very small amount

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by