1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sealing cracks? Pics added.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AllisonK, Jun 25, 2008.

1. AllisonK

AllisonK Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    So we keep running into snags building our first coop. I pot together the nest boxes yesterday and there are a few cracks where the wood was not cut straight. What can I use to seal these with? The biggest cracks are on the back where the door swings down on hinges so I can't have something attached to both sides. Does this make any sense?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Sound like a job for caulk.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Could you take some pics? I don't know if you need to seal the cracks I think I would just fill it with straw and be done. BUT that depends on how large the cracks. I don't know if I would use caulk, the chickens pick on everything...they would prob pick it off and eat it. That can't be to good for them.

4. AllisonK

Jun 16, 2008
    Quote:So just go look for caulk at Home Depot? I have bathroom caulk is this the same? I need specifics as I am building impaired. [​IMG]

I'll go take some pics/upload now if the kids will let me get it done.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Home Depot should have some tubes of polyethylene caulk. It will harden a lot more than bathroom silicone and is weatherproof. If you smooth it out nicely, there shouldn't be too much to pick at.

6. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    my choice was 100% silicone caulk. While it doesn't get "hard" it remains rubbery but sticks to dang near anything. It's the same product used to seal the glass on fish tanks.

7. AllisonK

Jun 16, 2008
    Okay here are pictures:

Right Side:

[​IMG]

Left Side:

[​IMG]

The run will be fully enclosed with hardware cloth on sides and roof. We are digging down at least 12 inches and extending outward with more hardware cloth. The door is an old 5x4 wooden window screen also covered in hardware cloth so hopefully pretty secure. I do not want anything eating my girls. Last night we noticed scratch marks on the wood of the temporary housing we have them in. (We were supposed to be done by now)

And because I took a picture while I was out there:

[​IMG]

Okay looking at the pictures has me thinking that I might just take the hinges off and cut a bit off the bottom and it may fit inside. Hmmm.

8. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Maybe you could trim that board up so it would fit into the crack?

9. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    that'd be a lot of caulking.

10. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    It looks like caulking won't work because the door is hinged ( I am assuming )

I would cut about a 1/4 to 1/2 in. off of the door so it sit in closer then hinge it from the bottom and get a paddle lock hinge for the top they even make ones that you can screw to the top and rap around to the front .

You could also look into Weather Stripping ( but the chicks might pick at it )

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ance_1=100&showStores=false&categoryID=502027

If that doesn't work you can try what I did put a board across the top and bottom and the door in the middle . See picture

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by