Searama chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whatknott, Dec 2, 2008.

1. whatknott

whatknott Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    I have a pair of serama chickens and live near Philadelphia, PA. so we can get some cold winters, but not as extreme as some places in the US. This is the second winter for them. Last year, i kept them inside a rabbit hutch that had a small enclosed area. This year they have had free range, with being shut inside a stall area at night, and they roost on top of a chain link panel. Someone told me this year that seramas can't handle our winters, and I told them that I had no problems.
    But Friday night, I noticed the hen was acting chilled and the next morning, she seemed to be labor breathing. So I scooped her up and put her in a cage in the basement with a light on top. Within a few hours, she was acting normal and is still fine. The rooster has still been outside.
    So do any of you know if the seramas can handle the cold? If not, why wouldn't they be able to? they're a normal feathered chicken, just smaller....

2. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    Our Serama stay in the coop with the other chickens. When it is above freezing they go outside with the other birds. I do however keep a lamp in the coop. It gets very cold here as well, and I know breeders in MN that do just fine with Serama in the winter.
    I believe that why some feel they cannot be in the cold is their heritage or breeding. They originally, come from a warmer climate and have not yet developed a cold hardiness like other breeds.
    My guess is that with your birds as with people, as we get older, we tolerate the cold less.
    Your birds should be fine. There could be that rare exception where they may need to be brought inside on bitterly cold nights or, have heat supplied for them.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    They do much better in a barn with several birds to snuggle up to and roost with..
    I have some cochins and when they go to roost the little serama roo named Shrimp Boat and hen named Tadpole sleep under them!

I also have a few pet ones that I keep in a pen in the basement over the winter and rather enjoy their company when down there...

My poor hubby has given up on me ever getting the basement "chicken free"....
    He moved his toolbox and play tools up to garage.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by