Search Feature Not Working

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by so lucky, Nov 7, 2011.

1. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I have been wondering why people ask the same question over and over, when they could search it and get the info. Now I know why--The search feature isn't working. I have tried entering many different topics to search for, and I consistently get a list of recent posts, that's all. What's up with that?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It's working for me [​IMG]

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Working fine for me too. Can you provide some very specific examples of what your searching for, what you are getting as results, and what you expect?

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Are they using google search in the top right or using the actual byc search which is forth button from the left in the blue bar. HUGE DIFFERENCE IN RESULTS.

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    For me the search feature works, I will get a list of threads in which the topic I typed was mentioned. But the problem with that is alot of those threads are 200+ pages and I generally don't have the time to go through and find where in the tread my topic of interest was brought up. I would hate to see all those threads deleted because just because they mention something off topic for 2 or 3 posts and I beleive most of them are local threads anyway. I do greatly value the search feature because I generally include it in my BYC routine. When I get on I go to the search and type my own name in the author feild, that way I can check all the threads I've started or posted to. In a way I think this problem with the search results is a consequence of BYC being so complex and great.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the feedback!

We are working on some really big changes to our search system that will hopefully make searching much more efficient and easy. We'll keep you posted once we know more about when these changes will be ready.

In the interim, anybody that has questions or problems with our search please review this thread:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47494

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Thanks nifty, I also wanted to add that I think a feature that pointed to a page within the threads returned would be better than deleting threads.

8. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    OK, I had been just trying to find stuff using the Search feature on the blue band. Guess I was not aware of the Google custom search button capabilities. I searched "selling hackle feathers" and got about 30 different discussions, with thousands and thousands of replies, by using the "Search". Like rittert3, I don't want to or have the time to go through all those posts. The Google custom search gave about 10 pages of entries with the words "selling feathers" or "hackle feathers" in each one. Good thing I whined. At least now I know how to search for a topic. Thanks all.[​IMG]

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Good to know we could help. When the new search comes into play it will make life a lot easier for all.

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Quote:I had the opposite problem! LOL I depended on the google search to find a zillion old threads and quickly assimulate the information. THEN the google search didn't work any more. THe search button is there, but the google word is GONE. Insert a word or phrase to search results in the results page popping up with NO threads listed at all.

Now I resort to the search in the blue bar. Not nearly as useful, but it's better than nothing!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by