Search for Organic Grower/All-flock Pellets

Megger2

Chirping
Sep 1, 2021
Hudson Valley, NY
HI all,

I'm searching for organic grower or all-flock pellets for my girls. I was feeding Grubbly Farms which I liked but the crumbles are so dusty (clogs the feeders and wastes tons of feed) and their "pellets" they just pick out the whole grains they like (the pellets are where the added nutrients are - plus that's a layer feed). Bonus points if I can purchase online as I can't seem to find this elusive feed close to me.

I have 5 layers and 1 geriatric hen right now, adding more chicks this spring. I'm hoping to get them on grower/all flock so I don't have to change their feed from layer when I integrate the new chicks (and we'd love to keep a rooster if it works).

I'm having a tough time - any one use something like this in pellet form? Thanks!

I wish you every fortune in this search. Unfortunately, the word "organic" on a label for poultry feed is often accompanied by other words (corn free, soy free, whole grain, vegan, etc) which, in combination, result in every one I am casually aware off being either unsuited to your specific needs, or offering nutritional values so poor that I can't in good conscious recommend them.

I will ask a sideways question, however. Have you considered offering the Grubbly Farms crumble as a wet mash, oatmeal-like consistency, in a different style feeder? That's how I control dust and waste (not Grubbly - a different brand of crumble), but I serve up in plastic gutters. Admittedly, my flock is a bit larger than your own. You didn't list a location in your sidebar - wet mash isn't suited to every climate or every season, which is why I ask, rather than recommend you try it.

Thanks so much for the reply. I know I don’t care as much about all those other words - but it does seem that it’s either “everything” or nothing…

I have given the Grubbly Farms feed as mash and they love it! But just not sustainable for us with work schedules - and when we go away which we are planning in April. I am in NY so the mash does freeze too when it is super cold - not great for winter.

Any recommendations for good grower pellets (that are actually pellets) if I can’t “have it all?” Thanks!

I'll sleep on it. and yes, the kitchen spoup approach to those words is not helpful to those concerned about what their chickens are eating, as well as what they are not.

Appreciate you updating your location. We don't get winter here (Saturday night is an exception - 25 in March may be a record low, or close to it, for us - on the back of 83 degrees yesterday...), so I have no first hand experience, but would have to agree the mash is out for much of your year. Keep the idea in the back pocket for your April trip though, since all your birds could eat it, and its relatively simple to prefill containes, one a day, for whomever might chicken-sit for you, with feed and water to mash. If it ferments, not a bad thing either - just warn your chicken sitter about the possibility of kahm on top. Unattractive, but potentially beneficial, in that it does a decent job of keeping other undesirables out.

and like I said, I'll sleep on it. Maybe I'll have a "how did I forget this?" moment.

Modesto Milling makes an organic grower pellet but I don't know if it can be ordered online. However, fair warning... my flock did not like it and I gave up pushing the issue after about 3 bags. The pellets are also on the large side, so not appropriate for very young birds or maybe some bantams.

Yup that would be fine. Something I could offer pullets, hens with OS and a rooster
Nutrena makes a good all flock pellet. A little high/low on some nutrients for my liking, but well within limits and depending on what's available, I would buy it. Purina flock raiser makes a pellet version that I would rather buy, but it would likely have to be ordered and I would have no idea of the mill date. I would feel comfortable recommending either assuming they're fresh. Hope that helps.

I know you want organic, but what are you trying to include/exclude? That could help narrow the search.

Nutrena makes a good all flock pellet. A little high/low on some nutrients for my liking, but well within limits and depending on what's available, I would buy it. Purina flock raiser makes a pellet version that I would rather buy, but it would likely have to be ordered and I would have no idea of the mill date. I would feel comfortable recommending either assuming they're fresh. Hope that helps.

I know you want organic, but what are you trying to include/exclude? That could help narrow the search.
Nutrena's product (at least, the "Nature-Wise" that I always see) isn't even non-GMO, much less Organic. Part of why I didn't offer it as a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom