Search for quality RIR breeders

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rolling plains, Nov 9, 2012.

1. rolling plains

rolling plains New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    Hi does anyone have info. on quality RIR breeders whose hens are prolific egg layers? ( that are not hybrids) Thanks

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, rolling plains, and [​IMG]! Glad you joined us! You might consider posting over on the Chicken Breeders thread - I think you will find some RIR breeders there. best of luck to you!!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

4. rolling plains

rolling plains New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    We live in the northeast corner of Montana, Our chicken house is heated and has a lamp on a timer. We have black austrolorpe hens (20) and 2 roosters, they are approx. 1 1/2 years old and no longer lay eggs. Am I correct in thinking that the RIR's would be better for this climate? If not what would you suggest, we're looking for eggs and also enjoy hatching our own chicks. A dual purpose breed is better suited for us since we process our own meat. Thanks

5. Fred's Hens

There are Rose Comb RIR. There are Dominiques and Chanteclers. There are also Buckeyes. You could not go wrong with any of those.

I won't get into the whole heating thing, but we do not heat and we're growing season zone 4 and -20 is virtually assured for Jan/Feb lows.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. rolling plains

rolling plains New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks, Where would I find a breeder fo the RIR rosecombs?

7. Fred's Hens

Same thread I gave you earlier. A good number of rose comb breeders on there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by