1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Search help requested

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NTBugtraq, Oct 18, 2014.

1. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

No doubt this has been discussed many times, but I don't know what search terms to use to find the best threads.

Preface: I am not growing breeds that mature in 9 weeks and get slaughtered. I am growing chickens for meat, and others for eggs, but neither are such fast growing.

Do you just put lots of feed in front of your chickens, or do you provide some amount per day?

I have seen wonderful instructions on building feeders that provide a constant supply of food (e.g. pipe feeders), but my limited experience is that growing chickens will eat a lot. I don't know if they're eating more than they need, but I do know they're eating more than I want to pay for (when I give them a constant unlimited supply).

My flock of 30 (15 roosters and 15 hens) are just at 10 weeks and are going through a 25Kg bag in 5 days. If they go through more than that, I'm hard pressed to see a reasonably priced meat bird. So today I decided they'd get 5Kg of food, and we'll see what is left tomorrow. That's at least 1/3Kg per day per chicken (granted, guys are going to eat more than girls).

Not trying to restart old conversations, so just point me if you can.

Cheers,
    Russ

2. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    I keep food avail. at all times. The one time I let the feeder get empty I had pecking issue's. I also give treats and table scrapes and free range at least a few hrs a day.

Take a look at "Feeding and Watering your Flock" under "Raising back yard chickens"

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Free choice grower ration! I plan on about three pounds of feed per pound of weight gain. That's a VERY rough guess on my part, as it's breed, ambient temperature, and wastage dependent too. For thirty birds growing to six pounds each, that's a minimum of 540 pounds of grower feed. Stinting on feed won't pay off, either in growth rate, or health. Mary

4. NTBugtraq

NTBugtraq ex-Surgeon General

Lols, this is posted under "Feeding and Watering your Flock"....;-]

5. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    I knew I got from somewhere. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by