Search mechanism

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by ChooksChick, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Nifty,

I was looking for something and realized that one thing this forum doesn't do is allow searches based on different parts of a post. For example, many community forum packages allow searching through different fields of a post, such as the signature, the post, the title of the post, the use who posted, etc.

Ours allows searching by the author or by everything.

The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem to allow exclusion of the author field when searching the post/title/signature for information.

An example is when searching for a discussion that might include a username: if searching to see who's talked about Nifty-Chicken, excluding any posts written by Nifty-Chicken, I would search the keyphrase 'Nifty-Chicken' and in the author search field I would supply 'NOT Nifty-Chicken' to exclude his posts.

The response, regardless of which author one specifies, is "Your search returned no hits, or was too general. Please try your search again."

Is there a way to narrow this search mechanism so one can find posts with mentions without wading through everything posted by that person?

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We've got a lot of ideas that we'd like to implement regarding our search, some of which you touched on above. Unfortunately a lot of the changes would require a very major rebuild of our search system. So, it is kinda high on the list of importance, but middle on the list of cost/benefit.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Yes and Search within monster threads...

I think all of the search stuff is in the 2011 thread... but search won't tell me... j/k [​IMG]

4. ByN8ureHomstead

ByN8ureHomstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ChooksChick I have been looking for the feed recipe that you have posted a couple of time. The search was useless. I know it was in Consolidated Kansas thread but which of the 3800+ post was it.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:ChooksChick I have been looking for the feed recipe that you have posted a couple of time. The search was useless. I know it was in Consolidated Kansas thread but which of the 3800+ post was it.

Hey there! I've changed the recipe a lot and like it better now- send me an email and I'll email you the spreadsheet so you can make it for the amount you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by