Searching for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stephaniepl205, Mar 13, 2016.

1. stephaniepl205

stephaniepl205 New Egg

May 4, 2015
    Hi all, I live in western Massachusetts and I am trying very hard to find somewhere I could go and pick up day old chicks. We have several tractor supply stores around me but they don't offer much variety. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm willing to travel.

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Have you chosen the breed(s) of chicken you want? If so, consult the websites of the national Club for each breed. If you have come to choose your breeds because of the historical descriptions of them, you will be much more pleased with the birds you buy from quality breeders who have been breeding their birds towards those historic goals. Check around and do a little research. It's worth the effort. Also, if you have chosen large fowl instead of bantams, check in at the Heritage Large Fowl phase II BYC list. One of its earnest goals is to help folks decide on a breed according to their wants and then connect them with top breeders who have those breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849075/heritage-large-fowl-phase-ii/7930#post_16673355
    Best,
    Karen

3. pinevalley farm

pinevalley farm Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    craigslist and facebook and my favorite a livestock auction or a hatchery

4. goosiesnougs

goosiesnougs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    Ventura grain in Taunton Massachusetts has a website to tell you what they are getting in and the dates. I've had great luck with their day old chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by