Searching for Heirloom Hens in MD

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by 1600sckn, Nov 18, 2008.

1. 1600sckn

1600sckn New Egg

Nov 18, 2008
    I work of a museum in Maryland. Currently we have 2 roos. and a hen. We are searching for pullets or hens (sorry, no roosters:() of the following standard rare breeds to join our flock.

Golden or Silver Hamburg
    Dominique
    Red or Silver Dorking
    Red Cap
    Polish

Our flock is free range and are not slaughtered.

Anyone have any heirloom breeds in Maryland? Donations are graciously accepted! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. Wanda

Wanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    What museum are you talking about? May get a better response if you name it.

thanks,
    Wanda

3. 1600sckn

1600sckn New Egg

Nov 18, 2008
    The museum is Historic St. Mary's City, the Godiah Spray Plantation located in southern Maryland.

It's a outdoor living history and archeology museum. Our Plantation is a 1st person living history site that portrays the year 1661. We currently do not have a breeding program. So our animals, cows, pigs, chickens and two cats live out their lives at the Plantation. They are buried on site.

This year we tried two mailorders from McMurray, but 48 out of 50 died of their hatchery virus. So we are down to three one year olds; two Roosters, a Cuckoo Maran, named Cromwell; a Red Cap named Cole; and a Hen, Golden Hamburg named Rebecca.

sorry, thanks Wanda.

Roberta - GS Plantation, Site Supervisor.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  4. Wanda

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Roberta - I am sending you an email with a number for someone who rescues farm animals. I know she just placed some pigs from Johns Hopkins and some goats and a sterile cow. I'm sure there will be more and even thought she is in Pa. we do transports. Last year we sent a pig to a pig persevere in TN.

Wanda

5. Wanda

Jan 7, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I really do know how to spell, it is the typing that doesn't work at times. Penelope the pig went to a pig preserve in TN.

Wanda

6. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    1600sk: My friend has all those breeds on a farm in Balto. Co. She got them from a Rare Breed order from a hatchery, maybe Ideal. I'll see if she wants to get rid of any.

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Sorry I can't help you, but have you looked on Petfinder.com ???

Also, that sounds like a very neat place to work AND visit!!!

8. 1600sckn

1600sckn New Egg

Nov 18, 2008
    Thanks everybody! I appreciate all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by