Sears and Kmart closings

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Dec 28, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Personally I'll be glad to see them leave. I hate going into Kmart. It looks and feels gross. Sears pricing is ludicrous and their staff is always unfriendly.

3. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Unfortunately, our K-Mart will likely be spared, I think it is a top performer. Probably our Sears too because we do not have a Walmart or Target in the area.

But, they are so backwards and badly mismanaged that they should have closed years ago or spent some time shopping in other stores so that they could figure out how to run a business and this is not new, this issue is decades old. I avoid both like the plague.

Be it selling refrigerators by the inch so that customers can not compare prices, everyone else uses cubic feet.
    Or opening an appliance shop in their OSH stores for just a few months before closing them
    Or not having staff to ring up sales
    Or not bothering to price items before putting on the shelf.
    Or having dusty dirty stores.
    Or trying to sell extended warranties on any product with a cord, like a $3 curling iron, or having to fill out a survey just to pay at the register or or only have a couple of cashiers in their best stores and lines 20-30 people deep....
    Our county has sued and won on their price on the shelf vs the price when you pay. After waiting 20 minutes to check out, who really wants to send the staff on a wild goose chase on all the wrong pricing on multiple items.

Bad Management

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:I definately agree....Kmart is slobby all around and not very shopper friendly.

Sears as much as we buy Craftsman tools for hubby and my female tools (hammer, screwdrivers, anything I need to set up to beautify the house), I like ordering online. The staff there are nasty and backstabbing which it cause my hubby to lose his job because the lady there has been telling off the managers that they are "following her home" which it is not true (the mall is right across the highway and most of the people live in the town just south of the highway and main road going into town, it could be 50 other people driving in the same road as hers!) and about two years later, she got fired for doing that type of thing of deframation of male employees in the store. Even older more knowledgeable men were out the door because of her. Now they are scrambling trying to find knowledgable tool, male friendly employees that KNOWS about mechanic tools. They hired teenagers now and I get this "duh" look when I ask them if they have any metric sized magnatic screw drivers that motorcyclists uses.

I've always bought their appliances but the biggest push they have out is trying to get you to buy the extended warranty on them. I tell them no thanks!

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Its really too bad. But thats the way it go's.
    Heck, we grew up going over to kmart. Not anymore now its Walmart that rules around here. As for Sears, its been going down hill for a looong time. We have a Sears at the mall and its always empty. More of like a thru walk to get to the mall. Their workers are pushy, you try and look and someone is behind you "can i help you" a bit too much imo.
    Desperate is more like it.
    Wonder what will happen to Martha Stewarts kmart collection. OOPs guess thats out of there!!??[​IMG]

btw: i went to kmarts website, looking for store closing, and could not find out anything?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't been in a KMart for years but went to ours last week to participate in the "Christmas layaway miracle". We were actually very impressed with how dedicated the clerk was to helping us - we wanted to pay for the layaways of families who had bought clothes and toys for their kids and she spent a lot of time going through her list to find matches for us.

Target is definitely a step up from KMart but I saw a lot of very well-priced clothing and other items there. I hope ours doesn't close.

7. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Hmmm...

There are 2 kmarts in my area. One is amazing and on top of things like Walmart. The other.... Well you can not get me in there to save my life. I think it is mostly the area it is in. It is not in a good part of town and no one goes to that one and it is gross there. I think it just depends on the area for kmart

Sears, We have a few of those to. Never go there because of the price and usually can not afford what they want for a simple shirt. But other than that our Sears are pretty good with nice people.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Annie, I get that too over the Christmas holidays. One more comment from them, I'll [​IMG] them! Oh the credit card push, like I need one?! Heck I filed bankruptcy eight years ago and why would I need one now?

Then you walk into another section, they are on you like a leech, wanting you to sign up for Sears credit cards. (running out of the store, screaming!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Quote:Yup. KameApart is crappy, dirty and full of thugs around here.
    Sears is dirty, overpriced and is a non-factor where competition is concerned.
    Like Arby's, I'm surprized they have lasted as long as they have.

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It said on Yahoo news awhile ago that they will post them when a complete list is compiled. I like Sears, and find good deals at Kmart, but have to admit most of their stores have sort went to the dogs as far as looks. Good buys though sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by