1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sears,Roebuck & Co. Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pocket Money Poultry Farm, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Pocket Money Poultry Farm

Pocket Money Poultry Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2011
    Matthews, IN
    Bought this Sears, Roebuck & Co. Brooder (Model # 595) for $5.oo at an auction. I want to restore it back to working condition. The electrical wires have all been removed. I know nothing about it but I’m guessing that the light on the outside of the brooder was wired with the heating element to show that it was cycling on & off.

To my surprise the heating element works. It is controlled with a wafer thermostat but the wafer is missing. There is a light socket inside the brooder. Would there have been a light switch in the unknown hole that turns the inside light on & off?

If anyone has one of these brooders or any information about it, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with us. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have the same one. I also got it st an auction. With a matching cabinet incubator. I don't think it uses a wafer. But I didn't look that close at it. Yours looks like it is in better shape then mine. You know they are close to 70 years old. I will look when I get home to see if it dose need a wafer.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You can try and look up Farm Master brooder

4. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    Did you ever find an information source for the brooder? I have the same brand that I just picked up at an auction (though mine is hexagonal, and yours looks square). I haven't tested it yet (just got it today -- also for $5! :D), but am hopeful, since mine looks to be in pretty good shape. [​IMG] :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by