1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Seasonal moving of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stacyc, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Stacyc

Stacyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Okay folks, here is my dilemma, once again I think I am over thinking. Still waiting for my chicken palace to be completed, when it is this is the plan, during the frigid Minnesota winter I have a lovely large fenced in run of about 40x40. In the spring the goal would be to then move coop, which I have ordered with massive casters and a tow kit to my four acre fenced in field. Along with the hens I will be getting a few guinea keets to handle the massive amount of ticks that livehere, I am a block from a large river.

The only real reason to have them closer to the house in winter is for convenience sake, my field is a small hike from house and I really don't spend any time out there in winter and I would like to keep an eye on them. We have all of the common preadators, fox, dog, eagles, hawks, etc.
    When it comes time for the spring move, I would do this with the girls inside the coop for the night and surprise! New foraging ground. Will this be to stressful for them? And does anyone have any training tips for this, I know food is always a good motivator. Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    This might be a good situation for something like the electric poultry netting to keep them contained for a few days while they get used to their new neighborhood and figure out that home has moved. What shape is the field? If it is an odd shape, you might want to move the coop more than once anyhow so they take advantage of all of it depending on what and how many chickens/guineas you have. When I move mine to a new coop, I keep them fenced in for a few days and they will pretty much stay put, there is the occasional one that will wander back to its old coop.

3. Stacyc

Stacyc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    The field is a 4 acre rectangle, about two and a half times as long as it is wide. It has numerous opens spaces as well as many types of trees and semi wild woods. The coop will be the same one I use in both spaces. Thanks for the input. Just want to be prepared for whatever might come up and you folks have experience and some quite clever ideas.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I like Kelsie's idea, sounds perfect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by