Seasonal paralysis syndrome

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by centrarchid, Dec 11, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Each year about this time something infects my flocks. Less than 1 in 20 birds are involved each time and the transmission does not appear horizontal. Some of the flocks are free ranging and some are confined in pens or coops. By time of infection, birds are at least 20 weeks post-hatch and some birds affected are > 2 years old. Both sexes are affected at roughly equal frequency. Affected birds appear drunk as normal leg, wing and tail function is lost. While affected birds are not able to fly up to roost and when I place them there they fall off before night is over. They are also prone to deficate on themselves but much of that appears to due to roosting / sleeping on ground. They show normal interest in food and water although feed intake is slowed. Until recently my birds were kept almost excleusively free range with minimal monitoring so I did not notice and let nature take its course. We had hogs so affected birds were usually culled by hogs. Now that many birds are kept confined and hogs are no longer part of picture so I am taking note. Last three years running I have isolated affected birds and all seem to recover although fullness of recovery has not been evaluated.

What are some possible diseases that show such signs?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Condition above typically requires two weeks to run course.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Mysterious--Don't know what this could be [​IMG]
    Have you learned of any possibilities since your last post?

4. MOchickens4me

MOchickens4me New Egg

Jan 15, 2012
    So strange; I got on here today to try to get some info about what seems to be the same behavior in one of my barred rock hens. I am also in MO. She has been exhibiting these behaviors for four days now. Let me know what you find out!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Hmm almost sounds similar to botulism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by