Seasonal power cord through 1/2in HWC

DonyaQuick

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Upstate NY (Otsego county), USA
I just got an outdoor outlet installed that will let me run a heated waterer on an extension cord. That solves the issue of bringing water out multiple times per day when the high is 15F, but I have another problem: my setup is in two halves, a secure area completely enclosed in 1/2in HWC and a daytime-only area with larger spaced welded wire (1.5in I think). I can easily get the water heater plug through the welded wire area, but I would like to put it in the secure, HWC-covered area if possible since the chickens typically have to stay in the HWC area when the weather is super bad (blizzards, large quantities of freezing rain, etc.). That will mean a big hole so the plug can fit through and a good-sized gap around the cord after that.

So...for those using heated waterers and small-spaced HWC, what do you do to seal up the resulting large hole in the HWC once the plug is pushed through? And what do you do in the warmer months to cover the hole when the power cord isn't needed at all?

I've read of using steel wool to plug gaps, but it will probably be where my chickens could pick at it, so that doesn't seem like a great idea in this case. I'm guessing I'll have to make cut some sort of bolt-on wood pieces to close up the gap around the cord. Curious if there are other commonly done things though to close the gap.

Answer. AC Port Plug. Make it permanent. You got to do this again next year, right? Also called a Power Inlet.

I was going to rig up something where all of the joins between cords happen outside the coop. I don't see a way to put in an AC port that wouldn't leave a connection accessible to the chickens.

I guess I have an additional constraint then that perhaps is somewhat abnormal: in addition to the weatherproofing and pest-proofing things, I also have an enormous cockerel called Monster who disassembles stuff. He would see me plug something into a port that's within his domain and it would get unplugged for sure. Then I'd have a live socket exposed without the cap put down. Hence why I was assuming I would have something like this, so it can't be pulled through and no connections can be exposed:

plugsm.png

If there was a deeply recessed AC port that might be ok but I can't find one like that.

That's what I would do.
I was thinking something like this design-wise. If I use bolts with wing nuts then I can easily take it off, remove the cable in the spring, and put the wood pieces back on. If I make the hole for the cord tight fitting enough, then maybe I can just leave the little round hole...probably barely different in diameter from the 1/2in HWC holes. Anything strong or clever enough to pull away the panels or undo the wing nuts is surely not going to fit through something like a 1.5-2" hole in the HWC. If I find a suitable other device, the hole will already be there and perhaps something else could be slotted in.

plug_panels.png

Then weatherproof outlet in and out, wire an inlet receptacle in one, conventional outlet in the other, with in use covers.

If just installed one of those on the house exterior but the cover doesn't lock very firmly - it's just plastic clips. I guess I could add my own screws or something to hold it shut.

I know it probably sounds absurd what I'm worried about, but plastic snap-over-a-ridge type closures were an early addition to Monster's list of conquered devices, so I know he would be able to open an outlet cover like the one I have on my house.

Back
Top Bottom