1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seattle area duck lovers-anybody want 3 ducks? *new pics added*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by scubagirlwonder, Sep 27, 2011.

1. scubagirlwonder

scubagirlwonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Hi guys!

Well, after lots of contemplation, we've decided to find a new home for our trio of ducks. They are fun and cute, but they are making an absolute mess of the chicken coop/duck yard, and we just don't have the time, energy or money to put into a whole new duck yard. They love being with their chicken "mamas" so they sleep in the hen house at night and fill up the nesting boxes with poo every night! I feel like a complete failure, because I researched a ton before getting these loves, but really was quite under-prepaired for the amount of mess they make and just how much work they are on a daily basis (and how much they eat!!). I'm expecting a baby in a few months and it's getting to be too much to drag around hoses, dump the duck pool for cleaning, and constantly be mucking out the hen house....[​IMG]

I love these sweet duckies, so I hate to see them go (especially after all we've been through together-eg. surviving the black bear attack!) but I have to do what's best for all of us. If there's anybody in the Seattle area that would be willing to take these darlings into their flock I would be thrilled! Send me a message if you're interested, and I can give you more info.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I think they're beautiful, do you knwo what sexes they are and their age?

3. scubagirlwonder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Oops! I probably should have given those details!

They hatched 6/26/11 So they're just over 3 months old.

Unfortunately I don't know the exact breeds of these guys, since when I bought the eggs I was supposed to be getting 2 Pekin eggs and 2 Black Swedish eggs (3 of the 4 hatched and none of them were Pekins!)....somehow we got 3 different breeds....

We think the Black Swedish and the gray and white one (we think she may be a Silver Splash Swedish or maybe a Welsh Harlequin cross) are girls (nice loud quacks, but we're not entirely sure since they are too young to know definitively-not laying yet or showing any drake feathers) and the third (the Welsh Harlequin looking one) has got to be a drake, raspy voice and getting really pretty dark green feathers on his head. He's going to be an absolute looker when he's got all his adult feathers in! The photos I posted are a few weeks old, so if you'd like more recent ones, I'd be more than happy to snap a few more!

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Temptation is a horrible thing [​IMG]....but my husband would divorce me if I add any more ducks. Especially the drake.

My first 4 were straight run and got three drakes that hubby thinks need to be dispatched, but they are a lot more personable than the hens - well except when breeding frenzy is hitting!

I would love to have a Swedish or Harlequin, but don't have room for three more without a larger duck house.

They sure are pretty. Hope you find another home for them!

5. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    I have been pondering this, but am really sure I don't want any drakes.
    What I was thinking though is you might try contacting some local granges and seeing if they will post a flier advertising them.
    I shop at Portage Bay Grange, and Issaquah Grange, and though I don't know their policies on this, they are such nice people they would probably be of help, or point you toward other resources.
    Good luck!

6. scubagirlwonder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Quote:You're so right about the personalities! The drake is the most personable of the three! Thanks for considering them at least! I just want them to go to a good home, to someone who will love and spoil them!

7. scubagirlwonder

Jul 19, 2011
    Sammamish, WA
    Quote:Thanks for the advice, I shop at the Issaquah Grange too, so I'll have to ask them! Thanks for at least being tempted! I can understand not wanting a drake, even if he is a really sweet and handsome one! [​IMG]

8. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I'd love to take them but I live in NY [​IMG] I hope you fin a great home for your babies!

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    the black one is a black sweedish. The white one is a silver sweedish splash, and the brown one is a welsh harlequin mix. Good luck!

10. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Awe Man, I was just thinking about your light colored girl the other day!! She's SOO pretty! DBF is heading up to Wa in 2 weeks but I doubt he'd pick up a duck trio for me! HaHa!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by