Seattle area duck lovers-anybody want 3 ducks? *new pics added*

scubagirlwonder

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Sammamish, WA
Hi guys!

Well, after lots of contemplation, we've decided to find a new home for our trio of ducks. They are fun and cute, but they are making an absolute mess of the chicken coop/duck yard, and we just don't have the time, energy or money to put into a whole new duck yard. They love being with their chicken "mamas" so they sleep in the hen house at night and fill up the nesting boxes with poo every night! I feel like a complete failure, because I researched a ton before getting these loves, but really was quite under-prepaired for the amount of mess they make and just how much work they are on a daily basis (and how much they eat!!). I'm expecting a baby in a few months and it's getting to be too much to drag around hoses, dump the duck pool for cleaning, and constantly be mucking out the hen house....
barnie.gif

I love these sweet duckies, so I hate to see them go (especially after all we've been through together-eg. surviving the black bear attack!) but I have to do what's best for all of us. If there's anybody in the Seattle area that would be willing to take these darlings into their flock I would be thrilled! Send me a message if you're interested, and I can give you more info.

100566_sv101970.jpg
100566_sv101986.jpg

Last edited:
Oops! I probably should have given those details!

They hatched 6/26/11 So they're just over 3 months old.

Unfortunately I don't know the exact breeds of these guys, since when I bought the eggs I was supposed to be getting 2 Pekin eggs and 2 Black Swedish eggs (3 of the 4 hatched and none of them were Pekins!)....somehow we got 3 different breeds....

We think the Black Swedish and the gray and white one (we think she may be a Silver Splash Swedish or maybe a Welsh Harlequin cross) are girls (nice loud quacks, but we're not entirely sure since they are too young to know definitively-not laying yet or showing any drake feathers) and the third (the Welsh Harlequin looking one) has got to be a drake, raspy voice and getting really pretty dark green feathers on his head. He's going to be an absolute looker when he's got all his adult feathers in! The photos I posted are a few weeks old, so if you'd like more recent ones, I'd be more than happy to snap a few more!

Temptation is a horrible thing
lol.png
....but my husband would divorce me if I add any more ducks. Especially the drake.

My first 4 were straight run and got three drakes that hubby thinks need to be dispatched, but they are a lot more personable than the hens - well except when breeding frenzy is hitting!

I would love to have a Swedish or Harlequin, but don't have room for three more without a larger duck house.

They sure are pretty. Hope you find another home for them!

I have been pondering this, but am really sure I don't want any drakes.
What I was thinking though is you might try contacting some local granges and seeing if they will post a flier advertising them.
I shop at Portage Bay Grange, and Issaquah Grange, and though I don't know their policies on this, they are such nice people they would probably be of help, or point you toward other resources.
Good luck!

Quote:
You're so right about the personalities! The drake is the most personable of the three! Thanks for considering them at least! I just want them to go to a good home, to someone who will love and spoil them!

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I shop at the Issaquah Grange too, so I'll have to ask them! Thanks for at least being tempted! I can understand not wanting a drake, even if he is a really sweet and handsome one!
wink.png

the black one is a black sweedish. The white one is a silver sweedish splash, and the brown one is a welsh harlequin mix. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom