Seattle Chicks?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by cluckkatie, Jan 1, 2018.

1. cluckkatie

cluckkatie Chirping

Jan 1, 2018
    Thinking of getting chicks now but I live in Seattle and I know you let chicks outside after 4-6 weeks. Would it be too cold to let them outside then? Daytime temps are around 35 degrees. Thanks

penny1960 likes this.
  2. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, if you raise your chicks inside, they will be ready to go outside once they are fully feathered (4-6 wks). Once they are fully feathered they can regulate their temperature. They can go outside at this age, (make sure you wean them off the heat lamp, after you move them outside, otherwise it will be a shock to them to just remove it). If it gets below -10°C though, they are at risk for frostbite, or if they are bantams, so take caution to provide them with thick bedding and a heat lamp if necessary.

cluckkatie likes this.
  3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    if they have feathers you can let them outside, Welcome Katie glad you joined us here at Backyard Chickens we also have a great Washington State thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...me-together-washington-peeps.717207/page-4340

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. It's possible, but there are possibilities for problems. Chicks with frozen legs, heat lamps causing fires, power outages and chilled/frozen chicks. In my opinion it is far better to start with chicks when temperatures are more moderate and stable. So far this winter has been a bear country wide.

5. Welshies

Welshies Crowing

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    In my experience, my chicks were fine up till -4°F (-20°C), but below that, thet risk frostbite. We had -40°C (-40°F) weather and their legs froze solid, so be careful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: