cluckkatie

Chirping
Jan 1, 2018
Thinking of getting chicks now but I live in Seattle and I know you let chicks outside after 4-6 weeks. Would it be too cold to let them outside then? Daytime temps are around 35 degrees. Thanks

Well, if you raise your chicks inside, they will be ready to go outside once they are fully feathered (4-6 wks). Once they are fully feathered they can regulate their temperature. They can go outside at this age, (make sure you wean them off the heat lamp, after you move them outside, otherwise it will be a shock to them to just remove it). If it gets below -10°C though, they are at risk for frostbite, or if they are bantams, so take caution to provide them with thick bedding and a heat lamp if necessary.

Welcome to BYC. It's possible, but there are possibilities for problems. Chicks with frozen legs, heat lamps causing fires, power outages and chilled/frozen chicks. In my opinion it is far better to start with chicks when temperatures are more moderate and stable. So far this winter has been a bear country wide.

In my experience, my chicks were fine up till -4°F (-20°C), but below that, thet risk frostbite. We had -40°C (-40°F) weather and their legs froze solid, so be careful!

Back
Top Bottom