Seattle vs Boston - Chicken Showdown!

monstad

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Shortly, we will need to choose either the Boston area or Seattle as a place to move to, due to work. Currently, we live in Minneapolis,and we of course have chickens (3 very sweet hens).

Now, it is of course a little bit silly to pick a location based on chickens, but as we are having a really hard time picking a clear favorite, I would love some input, from a chicken - keeping perspective. In Boston, we'd need to be within commuting distance of Lexington, Seattle would be Bellevue.

I also have a few specific assumptions/questions:

1) Seattle seems a bit more relaxed about it, but I also believe many of the towns in the Boston area (but not all) allow chickens?
2) Weather will be wetter and warmer than Minneapolis, and not a great factor
3) Is there any chance of finding a rental property (house) in either location that would allow chickens?

That said, Washingtonions and Massachusettietes (?), Battle on for the best chicken destination!

Hi ChickenCanoe, thanks for the suggestions. I figured I should post in a more "neutral" place, vs in a specific site forum for the "compare and contrast" question. Hoping to get some insights I might not otherwise get. Anyway, I might try my rental question in both of the above. From what I can tell from searching, it won't be easy, and at least one question about Seattle has gone unanswered. Craigslist does have some listings, but only really far out from the Metro areas so far.

I figured I'd post an update, now that we've settled on....... <drumroll> ... Boston!

More specifically, Sudbury, MA outside of Boston. The 3 girls did great in an oversized pet carrier, 1600 miles over 4 days from Minneapolis to Sudbury. Laying eggs in pretty much all 7 or so states along the way. Got some very curious looks at gas stations with the hens clucking away while filling up, as well as at the various motels along the way. Quite the adventure!

Anyway, the permits have been obtained, the new coop and run built, and now we're looking at expanding the flock!

Congratulations.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom