1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seaweed as chicken food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wildswanfarm, Jan 8, 2012.

1. wildswanfarm

wildswanfarm Out Of The Brooder

Hello all. We fed fresh seaweed to our ladies on Galiano Island and now live on Vancouver Island. When we have our new coop ready, we'll be feeding them the seaweed again as it is easy for us to get it. Ocean is real close by. We found that the eggs were bright orange and tasted great, even after 3 months of seaweed.

2. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Neat! You're not only feeding them seaweed, though, right?

3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Do you wash the seaweed first? What about the salt content?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How interesting! Yes, please do tell if you did anything special to it prior to feeding.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Yay Chicks! :

How interesting! Yes, please do tell if you did anything special to it prior to feeding.

x2​

6. Tallulah Chicklet

Tallulah Chicklet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    New Haven, CT
    Yay Chicks! :

X3​

7. DFCottage

DFCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Montpelier, Virginia
    Seaweed is super for chickens. I recently started mine on what has traditionally been just a horse supplement in the past, called Source. Lots of vitamins and minerals.. apparently the studies they did showed it helped with egg production and fertility.

http://www.4source.com/index2.shtml

8. coltsfoot

coltsfoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    My girls love seaweed. I bring a bunch back for them as a treat whenever I go to the beach. I just throw it in our compost pile and let them pick at it as they please. Bring back some coral weed for them (Coralina officianalis). It has a calcium carbonate skeleton.[​IMG]

Being that it's just a snack on top of their regular free-ranging and store-bought feed I don't bother rinsing it but if you're going to be feeding your birds large quantities of seaweed, I recommend soaking it in a bucket of water for about 15 min first. You can always give the seaweed a taste to check and repeat as necessary...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by