Seaweed?

cpmart

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 16, 2010
Hi
I am a newby anticipating my first winter with chickens! We have 4 beautiful little hens in our yard, and they have a somewhat stationary coop (we'll move out from under the tree to a sunny spot for the winter soon) and a tractor that I move around our yard. I was thinking of what they would be eating for greens over the winter, and since I live near the ocean, I was wondering if it would be ok to supplement their layer pellets with seaweed. Anyone do this or have any thoughts? It sounds like it should be pretty healthy to me...

Thanks for any advice
Chris in RI

Hi cp. I was reading online about egglands best eggs ceo . He was saying they harvest kelp ( a type of seaweed) from the ocean to feed to their layers. It went on to say they dry it ( to help grind into a feed)

Every time we get a storm here the day after we head down to the ocean and collect all the seaweed I can get, bring it home and spread it out on the land so it gets a good wash from the rain. I then tie strips of it to their run and they love it. It's good to get alot of the salt off of it before you feed it to them....good for the garden too!

Thank you for the replies! I'll be sure to rinse it before I give it to them. I hope they like it...
smile.png

Seaweed is a rich sourse of minerals and phytochemical. Phytochemical help detox,rebuild and nourish cells. So don`t be afraid to try some. If you go to an asian market you can pick such powerhouses like Hijiki,Kelp,arame,wakame and dulse. Seaweed makes a good soup base also. So it is not only good for your chickens it is good for you.

Back
Top Bottom