Seb gosling having trouble eating/drinking and breathing

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crj, May 2, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I've come to realize that the gosling that was given to me the other night is close to a month old. Definitely not a gosling that was not keeping up with siblings. I've check his mouth and all seems ok other then the tip of its tongue. Unless that is what there tongues look like on the end. I feel something happened to this gosling because it doesn't seem sick. It's having trouble breathing, very labored yet normal behavior otherwise. The poor little guy wants to eat and drink but when it does he can't breath and starts flipping out into a panic until it can breath again. I have no idea what to do at his point. I've tried to stick it's head in water to make sure it's nostrils are clear. He does shake his head and once in a while clear liquid will come out. Not much. He has a slight wheeze when he is stressed. I don't know if an older goose went after it or even tried to kill it. I say this because I saw my baby goose bite his throat yesterday which I found to be really strange. I see one side of the goslings chest rise and fall rather the entire chest moving. Anyone have any ideas how I can make this gosling breath better? I'm trying to figure out what I can. I can't find anything on the internet that could help so I'm hoping someone here can.

2. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    This sounds very serious. If I were in your situation, I'd take the gosling to a vet. I realize that this may be expensive, but it sounds like this poor little baby needs help.

Good luck. I'll be thinking about you two and sending good vibes.

3. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I'm in touch with a friend that deals with wild birds. I emailed her and I'm waiting for a reply. Thanks, I can use all the good vibes I can get these days. Anyone have a clue how to make sure the nostrils are clear of debris? I'm not sure if I see crusties in there but the whole on the upper part of his mouth looks fine. Figured if someone knows how to flush out the nose that might help.

4. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    This is just a thought. It could be a very bad idea though....

Maybe try some warm water. Trying not to drown the poor baby, use a syringe or a baby nostril thingy (or a turkey baster), hold the goslings head pointed downward, and gently squirt warm water.

Again, this may be a very bad idea.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Yeah, I know. I was thinking the same thing. One of the reasons why I posted first. [​IMG]

6. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    I would skip the friend and go to the vet.

No reason financial or other, that this gosling should continue to suffer and panic for air.

7. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I found a wildlife rescuer that is going to bring the gosling to the vet tomorrow. One problem, I dropped off a gosling only to bring two 2 month old Pekins home. Go figure. ...... lol. I'll find out more tomorrow afternoon.

8. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:Glad to hear it!

Let us know what the diagnosis was.

[​IMG]

9. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    if you dont mind my asking where did you get this baby from? and what was the living conditions

10. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hmmm..........

I tnink the Vet needs to be organised ASAP as Balbinka said. Im not sure from the description if the gosling has a normal tongue or not???

However, blocked nostrils, occassional discharge, respiratory wheeze and uneven chest expansion lead me to think its a chest infection and a quite an advanced one at that. The onset of the infection with breathing difficulties has caused this gosling to fall behind. The ?infection could be bacterial and/or fungalin depending upon the previous living conditions. For example dirty and dusty rearing conditions will give rise to acute fungalin infections of the air sacs.

The baby will need treatment fast to recover (anitibiotics and maybe steroids). In the meantime this baby needs be in an airy environment with easy access to water and food (maybe even moisten the food) that is easy to eat. Above all it needs rest and warmth so a heat lamp at one end is essential.

Let us know how the gosling gets on (wished I'd spotted this thread earlier) and hope my advice has not come too late.

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by