Sebastopol --feeding grains or corn?

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
I've read about how you don't want "fat" geese, especially when it comes to breeding season. But I've also read how you should give them 'some' corn for warmth in the winter, but you don't want an over amount of oats or wheat either. So what amount is a good amount Vs overfeeding? I give my 2 geese born this spring a 'total' of 1 cup of oats a day for them both to share in addition to their free grazing. & It's nice for them to be occupied with eating the small amount of oats from their hanging feed tray while I change & clean their pool (daily), adding fresh new water. That way they're not scared by the moving of the pool (flipping it over, onto it's side, etc)..........& they stay out of the way for a bit.
wink.png

So what would any of you Sebastopol Breeders feed your geese in Oats, Wheat, or Corn?
& in Summer months (where grass is available) & Winter months (where feed is scarce)?
& do you still give them a pool in the winter? I've read how their feather mutation makes them vulnerable to wind, so does that mean water is also a health danger since if wind can cut thru their feathers, a wet goose would surely die in a cold winter with wind blowing?

My Sebastopols go in water during the winter (and love it) but they have shelter at night and on severe weather days.
Their feathers often get ice coated and sometimes "snowballs" form on their long feathers but as long as they have adequate feed, fresh water and shelter they will be just fine.

I use scratch feed vs. cracked corn during late fall - winter months. I don't know how much I add...
maybe 1/4 of their feed is scratch feed.

I don't feed any scratch feed during spring - early fall.
They get whole oats, layer pellets and grass.

If you get Dave Holderread's book "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" he goes into detail about feeds.

Hope this helps.

"Winter Fun"
orig.jpg

I do almost the same as Vicky with the oats and scratch, but I feed layer pellets during breeding season and gamebird maintenance during the off season.

I feed 1 part whole oats and 1 part Purina Duck Grower pellets during the winter months and a small amount of scratch....but my adults aren't real crazy about either the layer or duck pellets.

Last edited:
Wow your birds are beautiful.
smile.png
Mine are this years hatchlings so they're getting long flowy feathers, more all the time but not fully feathered out as yours are.

Thanks for the info.
smile.png
But when you say 1 part this & 1 part that, since I'm new to geese I was interested in knowing what measurement your "part" is. Meaning would you feed to 2 Sebbies 1 cup & 1 cup or 2 cups & 2 cups, etc.

Yes I was hoping there was a Storey's guide to geese but I've seen none. I Love the Storey's Goat book, I hope there's a Storey's Llama book. Very informative. & I need all the info I can get.
wink.png
I just was hesitant to feed layer or any kind of feed that would be too much of things they didn't need. (you know how copper is good for goats, bad for sheep, etc). Just want to make sure I'm caring for them correctly, especially when winter colder months are ahead & breeding season. Thanks for the info.
big_smile.png

Thanks!
smile.png

As for the feed I mean when I mix a batch,
no matter the size its 1 to 1, but thats just what I feed.
Nothing scientific.
Ratios and amounts can varying depending on age, breeding season etc.
Try you local library for D.H. duck book.
You can apply the same thing to geese.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom