Sebastopol free ranging Question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muscovy94, Jan 31, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone I have alot of ducks and they all free range on our pond 24/7. Well I plan on getting sebastopols in the spring and was wondering if they could free range like the ducks. The reason I ask is because I was wondering if they needed special shelter because of their feathers. I know regular geese can free range all they want, but I was just wondering if sebastopols could do the same?
    Thanks.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Ours are out in all kinds of weather, but they have access to covered pens away from the worst of the weather in spring, summer and fall. We bring them into the barn between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then they have daily outs depending on how severe the weather is the rest of the winter. I have to say, this is more for my benefit a lot of the time. Hate herding in geese in a snowstorm! I will not leave them out after dark as we have just about every predator imaginable. They have an amazing layer of down under all those curly feathers! They probably are more comfortable in cool weather.

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My friends pasture their Sebastopols with their other ducks and geese year-round. I don't think their feathers require any special treatment -- they have a nice layer of fat for protection. They have a shed they can go into, but seem to prefer staying outside most of the time.

4. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Well what Im mainly worried about is when it rains. Because if silkies get wet they look like little rats and can get sick. Do sebs look like little rats when they get wet or does the water roll off them like most breeds?

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I think they get a little ragged looking in rain, but no more than any bird. They're not going to look their best at that point. I believe they have a layer of feathers under their fluffly looking ones that do shed rain and are not vulnerable in the way silkies are.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    From what I've read Sebastopol geese aren't as waterproof as other breeds of geese due to their open feathering but they're still pretty hardy as long as they are well fed, have fresh water everyday and have shelter when the weather is very bad.
    I wouldn't keep them out if you have alot of frigid, wet weather or very cold with high winds. I recently got an email from a customer who lost 3 of her Sebs she bought from me in 2008 to hypothermia. She had them in with a mixed goose flock and we suspected they were being bullied by her more aggressive African geese and they weren't getting enough food and ultimately starved and froze to death so a little extra care is necessary with this breed.
    Also I always recommend closing birds up in predator proof housing every night no matter what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by