Sebastopol gander has wet feathers that don't seem to be drying

Discussion in 'Geese' started by luckyclucker, Sep 30, 2013.

1. luckyclucker

luckyclucker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    nm
    I noticed a couple of days ago that my smooth-breasted gander seems to be staying wet. His neck feathers and the feathers under his body seem constantly damp, and he also seems very interested in bathing a lot-- more than usual. All the other geese seem normal. Has anybody had any problems with geese who don't seem to be oiling their feathers?

2. gm21255

gm21255 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Do you enclose your birds a night, away from the rain and their pools? I live in Oregon where my sebs get drenched sometimes by the rain during the day. After a night under cover, they're all fluffy again.

3. luckyclucker

luckyclucker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    nm
    You know, I wondered about that, but he has been this way for a couple of days. I'm wondering if its a molting thing and he just wants to yank out all the feathers. He's not really "fluffy," more of a smooth bird with a little ruffle here and there. Thanks for your idea, I'll keep an eye on him.

4. gm21255

gm21255 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    I did a little research and discovered that wet feathers and over preening could be a sign of parasites. Over preening is a response to the parasites and actually causes the wet feather condition. Check his feathers and skin for mites or lice.

The other possibility is the preen gland isn't producing sufficient oil due to a deficiency in the diet. Adding wheat to the diet will provide essential Vitamin E and B ...and a good waterfowl maintenance feed is good if you can find it in your area.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by