Sebastopol geese eggs, NEED ADVICE ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tebs78, May 23, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    HI again.... Okay I've hatched a few load of sebbie eggs and from my experience of a whopping 5 different hatching times, my eggs have hatched on day 28 (last year) and day 29 (3 times) this year. I am on day 30. I heard peeping on day 27, which would lead me to believe the gosling was in the air sac. Its not even pipped. Im afraid they are going to die (I have two eggs). I've heard a scratching sound coming from the other now for a few days and again no pipping... WHAT Should I do? Should I make a small hole to help them get air?

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    My experience says that if they are in a bator, keep the humidity up and let nature take its course. I helped my last batch of ducks all had pipped but none were hatching after 48 hours I helped, it was hard on them and me, all but 1 made it but i think if I got to do it over again I would maintain my humidity better and let nature handle the rest. On the other hand if I had not listened to my gut and helped I would not have the 5 happy healthy ducks I have now, it's so hard to decide what to do. Good Luck!!

3. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    I've never helped my geese eggs before. I've helped chicken eggs. I am a firm believer in leaving them be as well USUALLY. I just have spent a bloody fortune on eggs this year to only have had 4 hatch out, out of probably a good 20-30 eggs! These are my last bunch and I heard the one peeping three days ago at least, I am afraid of it running out of air. Will making a small air hole kill it?

4. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    IT ALREADY DIED! DANG IT! I did it, I pipped a small hole because I did not hear it talking to me. GOSH DARN IT. I should have done it sooner. The sac looks thick and green, darn it.

5. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Well I opened it up and the yolk wans't all the way absorbed, it was weird. it was hard like it was hard boiled, poor little fellow. It was alive this morning, I heard it! This really sucks. Time for the pitty party because I have tried so hard to hatch some sebbie eggs this year!

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im very sorry about your gosling. [​IMG]

7. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I am so sorry! I know how you must feel.

8. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks, needless to say I am very frustrated and bummed and upset. I just don't know what went wrong.

9. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    It sounds like your temps amd humidity may have been a little low. I'm sorry you lost it - seb eggs can be darned hard to hatch sometimes. I would rather hatch peafowl than sebastopols.... :|

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by