1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebastopol geese, how in the world do you sex them when feathered out?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by WyanLuv, Jul 7, 2009.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    Help! We have some sebastopol geese that we need to sex. I should have banded their legs when they were little, but didn't even think to do so. Was more happy that they had goslings let alone worry about who was what. Can someone shine some light on my situation? They are 3 months old and fully feathered. Is there any way to tell at this age? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. Windchyme

Windchyme Silkies n Sebs

Quote:Unless you know how to vent sex watch their behavior. Males jobs are to watch over the hens while they eat and keep an eye out for predators so their heads will be up and looking around alot more. Also when they think a threat is approaching they come forward between the hens and the threat and may hiss and snake out their necks while the females try to stay back- if you see one coming forward and acting protectively, that would probably be a male. If one hollers in distress the males are the loudest and the first to show up from wherever they may be to defend the flock member that needs help. My three month olds are already displaying this behavior to a degree and it gets more clear as they age. Unless you can ID them as individuals on sight it is best if you grab the gander and put some sort of ID on it right away.

3. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    The females have a lower voice than the males. Listen when they greet you.

4. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    HI,
    We r getting our 1st 2 sebastopol geese that were hatched mid.april,at this age can we tell what sex they r?I am trilled to b getting them,i have lots of other geese breed should I keep my new breed seperate or let them mingle with everyone else...what will have if 2 different breeds mate? Any help be great.
    Any hints or tips great too

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Are you getting them for just pretty pets or are you going to breed the two together? If you want all to run together that is fine but if you want pure Sebastopol then come breeding season you need to take them and put them in a separate pen.
    Or just keep them off to their self. This is your decision on what you want to do.

6. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    We have decided since we are pretty sure their male/female they will be kept seperate so that we have purebreeds .we hope to start selling when we have the first borns bc no one near us have this kind of geese.

7. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I think we're pretty experienced and got quite a few of our Dewlaps wrong last year despite detailed observation!!! Also we're not very good at vent sexing, I think we're so nervous of causing trauma to the vent and subsequent problems later!

We have to resort to spending about $20 per bird and have them DNA sexed to be 100% certain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by