Sebastopol geese question

crj

Songster
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Rocky Point, NC
I do not have geese. I never planned on having any geese........ BUT......... a friend of mine has some Sebastopols and said I can have some when the eggs hatch. Well, how can I say no??? I can't. They are stunning. I was reading that you can tell the sex when they are day olds by color. Darker ones are female lighter ones are male. As they get older how do you tell who is who? With ducks, a drake has a curled feather and females don't. Is there anything similiar to telling the difference with Sebastopols? White ones I'm referring too. Obviously can't tell by the curled feather........ that's a big duh..... lmao! I couldn't help myself but I'm sure you know what I mean. Chickens you can tell by tail feathers and comb. Thanks. Shoot, we need spell check.... ugh.

I couldn't tell with mine until it was breeding season. Males tend to be slightly larger. They tend to be louder. They tend to be more watchful. All pretty iffy things. Wish there was a definitive for them like the drake curl.

Some of us with Sebastopols mark ours in some way until we can identify them by sight. I can now go into my goose pen and identify each and everyone of my 11 Sebastopols and I can tell you who is a male and who is a female. But until I was able to do that we used zip ties of different colors on their legs so that we knew who was who.

On occasion the zip tie has to be changed and you have to watch carefully to make sure that its not too tight but its a useful way to identify them.

Laurie

I'm getting 3 pairs of sebbies from Metzer farms later this month...I have decided to keep the males marked one way or another for ever and always so I'll know. That is all I can suggest. I'm going to double up on the marking when they are baby's...a dot of food colouring should work.

I just got an adult Sebastopol from a member here and I asked her the same question and you have to vent sex them to find out really. But all I can say is you will NOT have any regrets with the Sebastopol's, they are absolutely AWESOME, calm, attention seeking, at least mine is he is spoiled to no end and claimed me as his. He's what is called a Sadleback because he has some gray on his back. This is Sebastian~AKA Mr. McFluffyPants from OliveHill.
66568_020.jpg

Quote:
You picture looks like a portrate. What a stunning bird. I'm looking forward to getting a pair. I can vent sex ducks so I'm sure a goose wouldn't be much different. I did read up that the males are lighter in color when hatched. They really are beautiful. I'm looking forward to adding them to my growing flock of ...... well..... everything.

Quote:
You are definitely off to a good start. Yes, I am excited about the geese. I get the pick of the flock....... hehehe. I can also have as many as I want. Actually, 3 might be enough. Shoot 2 might even be enough.

Back
Top Bottom