SEBASTOPOL GEESE

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MM RANCH, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MM RANCH

MM RANCH New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    I have read several older posts regarding the goose laying eggs,,,, I am a newbie so am learning,,,, I have hatched numerous chicken eggs in an incubator and am just trying the goose eggs... Only because we live in Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the eggs would freeze if she laid to accumulate. Has anyone had luck with incubating these?? How long does she lay?? The first one she actually laid on our front pathway and then the next in her little nest in her shelter,,, but I see that they do not always lay one every day, she actually has skipped today. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    the lay every other to every three days with a total of roughly 30 eggs laid a year only in the spring. most breeders incubate their eggs, we have 6 hatching right now and another 3 dozen in the cabinet now

3. MM RANCH

MM RANCH New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    So you obviously are having luck,,,,, does not seem like I am,,, after candling it seems as though a lot are infertile??? :( One is moved into the second incubator for it last 5 days without turning and I was sure I saw the egg moving several times when it first went in there but nothing since and it will be 30 days in two days??!! Any suggestions for a successful hatch?? Do you spritz the eggs like I have read several do? Thanks, Cindy

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Cindy,

lockdown (when you stop turning) is only for the last 3 days, not 5.

yes we cool and mist goose eggs during incubation, and measure aircell growth as well as weight loss and make adjustments based on how the eggs are progressing.

You shouldnt candle and toss eggs until they have hit the day 10 mark and show no signs of growth by then.

Our eggs hatch day 30/31 with a rare day 29 hatch from time to time.

They do not move quickly through the hatch process, there are lots of long still break as they rest building up for the next step.

If you havent already read the stickies at the top of the goose area, specifically the waterfowl hatching guide.

5. newcutesgaw12

newcutesgaw12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    honk honk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by