Sebastopol-herding & guarding

Discussion in 'Geese' started by carolynm, Mar 2, 2014.

1. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    I love the look of Sebastopol geese and am considering adding a couple to my farm this year. Most of the critters around here need to do double duty as I have Australian shepherds that I train to herd. I was wondering are Sebastopol's just as agile as other geese? I know they don't fly but was wondering about how fleet of foot they are? Don't panic, my dogs are always under control, I just don't want to get something that might not be suitable.

The other purpose I'd like them for is guard duty. My neighbor has dogs that have twice gotten in with my sheep and severely hurt them. One time I was home and didn't hear a thing. I'd like to run my geese with my sheep in hopes they'll sound the alarm if something is in there-is that likely with Sebastopols?

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    If you are asking if Sebastopol are like guard dog no. But they do let you know if anything is new or coming into your area. All they do is put their heads down and honk a lot and hiss at what ever.
    I have been breeding Sebastopol's not for 7-8 years. They do honk if anyone comes onto our driveway. But none of mine have chased anyone because I have taught them not to chase people...

3. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    Thanks-I'm just looking for them to make noise so I know something is going on...they won't be expected to chase dogs!

Do Sebastopol's get around OK? My dogs herd fowl as well as hoofed animals, I'd like to be able to use the geese for that too-what are your thoughts on that? Could a dog herd them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by