Sebastopol.....now a Muscovy too....gone

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by clhbubba, Sep 21, 2009.

1. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Came home this evening and noticed one of our 2 Sebastopol geese was missing. We searched all around and finally found feathers near the woods side of our fence. Something carried it up and over our 5ft horse fencing and into the woods. I'm devistated and very distressed. We've got chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, peacocks guineas and goats out there. We bought a llama that was supposed to be a guard llama....USELESS!!! We have a coyote around(have had for over 3 years) and have recently seen a bobcat. Very few feathers, very clean exit, I'm leaning towards bobcat. I say this because we've had our own dogs follow us into the pen and our Miniature pony will try to stomp them. We put a radio out there on a talk station. I'm just sick to my stomach over this. Both at the lost of my goose and for fear of losing my others.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Ooh no! [​IMG] What was it? Had to be something big!!! [​IMG] I'm so sorry, i'd be a wreck if something got geese.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] This is very sad news. so sorry.

4. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    I'm still so upset about this, I slept with the bedroom windows open last night, didn't get a good nights sleep at all. Today I called on a craigslist ad and Thursday I'll go pick up a Pyr/Anatolian pup. I know it'll be a few months before he can guard but it's a step in the right direction. We don't own a gun. We have two children and I don't want one with them in the house..personal reasons. The radio is blasting talk radio out there. Hopefully that will help some. Suffice it to say the llama we bought a few months ago as a guard......failed. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to offer them up!

5. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    how old is the pup?

6. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    He's only 8-9 wks. He'll have to stay in a pen out there when we're not home.

7. feathersandfluff

feathersandfluff Chillin' With My Peeps

We had the same experience about 3 weeks ago. Found two of our Sebs. 1/2 eatten and one completely gone. We figured raccoons probably for the half eatten. I like you, can't figure what could clear our 5 foot fences carrying a Sebastopol. These were juvenile Sebs. so they were only about 1/2 grown.
    It does give you a sick feeling. We have run electric wiring now but have the fear that this will not stop whatever it is.
    We know we have bobcats in our area and also reports of cogars in our area. I guess we will never know for sure what did the killings

8. feathersandfluff

Yes, I also sleep with the windows open now hoping that I will hear my geese if they are being attacked.

9. feathersandfluff

I have heard the large breeds of dogs are about the only thing that will keep the peditors away. I need to check Holderreads Book of geese and see what kind of fencing he uses. I think he must have a lot of preditors where he lives.

asebastopolsselect.com

10. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    We just bought a Pyrenees/Anatolian pup. Keeping my fingers crossed he'll be good with the fowl. In about 6 months my feathered kids should all be safe! Still playing the radio loud on NPR. I'm sorry for your losses. It is devistating. I hope your electric fencing works. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by