Sebastopol Sebastian Showing Off His Tuft & Big Boy Feathers **PICS**

Lamar Estate

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
St. Paul, Minnesota
My baby Sebastian is now 2 1/2 months old. He definitely has a tuft.

We're going through a crabby phase (I HOPE it's a phase). It's as if he's going through the terrible twos. For example, when we're outside, he doesn't want us to pick him up, but if we walk away, he comes running after us in a panic and crying. At least he still likes night time cuddling.

Sebastian and his big brother (by a few hours) Gizmo (Cayuga x Khaki Campbell-Cayuga duck) are still living inside the house. His older and younger duck siblings have moved outside to the chicken coop and run. We are in the process of building a separate house and run for the ducks and him. I don't know who's going to cry more when they move outside--Sebastian or my husband.

These are his latest pictures. Gizmo; little duck siblings Cooper, Tater, and Tot; scary mini-Dachshund brother Orville; and great aunt Kay are also pictured.

81478_show_me_your_tufts_6-1-2011.jpg

Quote:
Yes. Since we live in Minnesota, you know that are winters can be harsh.

I know that most ducks and geese are very hardy and will even sleep outside rather than inside their shelters. When I went to a farm in Scandia to pick out one of my ducks, they had all the ducks and geese living underneath a propped up truck topper. It was so cold outside and the snow bank height was over my knees. I just baby my little ones so much...I wouldn't feel right providing a non-insulated house.

Ducks are a lot of fun. So are geese!

Amanda

My pair of Sebastapols are doing the same thing. Once you catch them they are fine...... lol. Mine are the same age I believe yours is. I can't get over how fast they grow and how huge the wing span is. It's so funny to chase them and watch how they put there wings out and run from you....... just huge..... LOL and the feathers are only a few inches long.... hahaha. Fred did a great job making a tight turn with his wings out. Needless to say the birds were never caught. Kids (20 yr olds) just don't know how to catch a baby goose. I named mine Fred and Ginger since they look so graceful and eligant. They look it but they aren't.... lol. No tufts on mine. You have a beautiful boy.

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous! Do all Sebastopols have tufts? Is he mixed? My goose has a tuft but no curls at 3 months. Is it possible he might get curls lol? I would love to have a Sebastopol! They are so beautiful! Love the pics, they're awesome.

Quote:
Sebastian has mastered doing tight turns by holding out only wing. The first time we were trying to catch him and he did it, we were so amazed by his new found ability. Now it just annoys us!

Quote:
Sebastopols usually don't have tufts. I guess it just like some ducks--there's a gene that may or may not have them develop a tuft.

His tuft was pretty obviously the day he hatched. His feathers started to curl once he got his big boy feathers.

Sebastian is not a mix. However, I did purchase eggs off of Ebay, so you never can be 100% sure. I'm pretty sure he's not mixed though.

I love this breed. He's my only goose, but I hope to have more Sebastopols next year!

Get Sebbies!

Back
Top Bottom