Sebastopols feathering......

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Mrs. Turbo, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    My Sebs had a bad feathering year last year, might have been because they were breeding Sept- Dec. Was a strange year, but this year they are looking good and still growing! Hows everyone else doing?

[​IMG]

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Beautiful babies, Mrs. Turbo! [​IMG] I have a question...I was told that Sebbies don't get their signature "curls" until they get a bit older...as in, they don't have them when their first feathers come in as goslings. Is that true?

3. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Beautiful Sebs!

Sebs can go either way in my expedience. I have had a couple "poof" almost immediately and have great feathering at 4-5 months old. Most of my colored ones have taken two and three years to get to full potential.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My sebbie is pretty curly and she is only 5 mos. old.

5. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I also have some that grow nice feathers by fall and some don't get the nice ones until the following year. If I have a young one that I like the body, head, and neck on and the feathering is not great I keep it another year to see...... not sure if that is right or wrong, but that is my experience...they have good years and bad years....maybe some of the longer breeders can jump in.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe someday I'll get some of those beauties..........

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    This is my first year having sebastopols! Mine were hatched in early May and they are feathering out nicely! What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    maybe some day i will get some, i hope i do. very nice

9. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Mrs. Turbo :

My Sebs had a bad feathering year last year, might have been because they were breeding Sept- Dec. Was a strange year, but this year they are looking good and still growing! Hows everyone else doing?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/21841_191.jpg

There looks to be an adult trio with maybe another female in back who all look good for this time of year. Nice, nice type as well. We don't see enough like this. Not discounting Banter's experiences with her colored stock but the usual is that Sebastopols will feather out very nicely, or as nicely as genetics allow, their first autumn. Late autumn is what I should say for many. The problem with adults from many strains and outcrossed matings is that breast feather especially is never seem again as it was on the babies. What was long baby curl shortens up, flattens out and we can see birds go from curly to quilted or lightly furrowed. The goal, no matter the color, is to have the right size and type just covered with long wide curls EVERYWHERE even on older birds. It's a genetic characteristic that some birds/strains have and many do not. The well raised looking young bird pictured shows plenty of feather and curl though higher up towards or on to the neck would be nice. Trick is to see if he retains it as an adult.​

10. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I still need a pair of these!!! So pretty! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by