sebbie egg laying ??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by johnskoi, Jan 23, 2013.

1. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

hatched two sebbies for myself this summer (Nuk and Futz )... i'm sure they're a pair [​IMG] and she will be laying eggs this upcoming season...

they're locked up every night in 4 x 9 pen ... they roam the yard (and beyond sometimes into a wooded area that borders my yard) during daylight, but they still have open access to their pen...

i was wondering if:

-- there was a time of day they tend to lay?
    -- if they have a tendency to lay in their pens or in a more hidden area?
    -- and if there's something that i can do ahead of time to coax them to lay in their pen?

tia,
    john

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    They will lay where they are comfortable. Give them lots of extra straw in their house- maybe in a sheltered corner or a dog house or something like that. Keep an eye out for nesting behavior. If they make a nest in the woods, you might miss it completely. They bury the eggs.

3. johnskoi

thanks! ... i've had the woods blocked off with 2' chicken wire -- just didnt reinforce enough to keep 'em from barreling over in a few weak spots .... do you think setting up a nest box with a dirt or sand bottom with hay on top would be more enticing being that they bury the eggs?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- that is why I give mine lots and lots of straw. Nice dry, fluffy straw. They love it- and the eggs will be clean too. I have one goose that will build the nest all the way up around herself, so all you see is her head :p

For the ones that have a wood floor in their house - I make a corner box using barn beams and pile up the straw in there.

The straw will last a lot longer, too, if you keep feed and water outside of the nesting area.

5. johnskoi

gotcha .. and thanks!

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    x200 what Amy already said. If you do indeed have a goose and gander providing a darkened, what feels secluded and safe place for her to lay will be the best way to get the nest where you want it. be sure to re-enforce that barrier so they dont wonder the wooded area. Post pictures too, cause we all love to see your geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by