1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebbie Flying

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mberry222, Dec 8, 2009.

1. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    We have a pair a sebbies that like to follow us around when we are out in the yard, which seems pretty common among geese. The other day I was working around the yard moving kind of quickly and apparently my smooth goose didn't want to be left behind. She began running fast and then flew about 50 -75 feet about 15 feet in the air over my head and landed right in front of me. [​IMG] She then proceeded to give me a good honking, I guess she didn't want to be ignored any more. [​IMG] This is the first time I had seen either fly. I have always read that they can't fly. I'm guessing that since she is smooth her flight feathers allowed her to take flight. Just thought I would share.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. feathersandfluff

feathersandfluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Very interesting. I have large flock and have not seen one fly. They do run for the pond if they think we are after them We did a failed attempt to catch some of them to sex them. I didn't know they could run that fast. Your Sebastopols are pretty. Dorothy
    Select Sebastopols

asebastopolsselect:)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Wow, I've never heard of them flying!! Mine get moving pretty fast at times, but I don't think they'd even attempt to fly!

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:Dorothy, Petunia, the smoothest of the 3 we got from you, got about 6 inches off the ground and flew about 15 feet the other day. She thought she was being left behind when we were feeding the others kale. She was about 70 feet from the rest of the geese as she had wandered off. As soon as she saw us with the buckets of kale, she started running so fast and then got airbourne!

I almost dropped my bucket! LOL But then I realized out of the 6 geese we have, she's the smoothest of them all and I'm not surprised that she can fly. I don't think she ever tried before.

Laurie

5. feathersandfluff

I am thinking that at one time all of the Sebastopol breed must have been "flyers" They would have to have been able to fly to survive. Makes you wonder where and when they lost their ability. Is anyone else getting this strong storm wind? Been blowing all night and still going strong. Trudy you remember our drive way between our house and the pond. We are so under water from the rain that we no longer have a driveway.The pond now runs up to my garage.
    found a 25 lb catfish on the driveway that had come from the pond.

Seriously worried about the extreme strong winds that blew all night. Afraid it would blow the geese away but somehow they held on. Did a lot of shingle damage to the roof.

Small world but family drove 200 miles last night to get a companion goose for their lone goose from me. We got to talking and found out that their lone goose was one that I had hatched 2 years ago and they had bought it from a third party. Dorothy (selectsebastopols)

asebastopolsselect.com

Hey Trudy, are all your Sebs. getting along now? I am so glad that you made everything work out. You wil have a house full of baby Seb. goslings runnning under your feet around March.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. Golden Valley Farm

Golden Valley Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    My smoothies have been able to fly especially if the wind is behind them. I have even had my American Buff and Lavender take flight, not very far though and only when it has been windy. We had about 12 inches of new snow and the geese are piled on the snow. They do quite well in the winter.

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:Hey Dorothy! Peony is in with Casper and Caressa and they're a perfect trio! Peter, Pansy, and Petunia are doing great as well. I don't have the two trios together because Peter and Casper are after each other through the fencing! LOL But at least Peony now has her own place.

Tell Lowell to break out the fishing pole and go fishing for catfish, we're coming for dinner!! ROFL!! We're getting the severe winds here too! We've lost some of the tarps we had up. Several trees have fallen down in the woods. We've had large branches fall down on the roof as well. We have to keep patroling the property to make sure all is well in the Kingdom.

You know my feelings about driving hours and hours to pick up a companion for a lone goose. We drove 16 hours round trip to get the girls for Peter and we drove 9 hours round trip to get Casper & Caressa to make Peony happy.

Laurie

8. feathersandfluff

I think it is beautiful to see a goose in flight

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:So do I! I always felt sorry for the ones that had gained so much weight that they could no longer soar with their nestmates. It directed me to lighter breeds.

10. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Smooth Sebastopols with stiff primary (flight) feathers should be able to fly.
    Its just the curly ones with their abnormal primaries that can't fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by