1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebbie Gander

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DucksinOR, Feb 2, 2015.

1. DucksinOR

DucksinOR Out Of The Brooder

We have a mixed flock of poultry. (23 chickens, 24 ducks, and 2 Sebbie girls) 2 of our ducks are vision impaired. We have around 1/2 an acre divided into two yards (ours and the neighbors) the chickens have one, and the ducks and geese have the other. the geese are housed by themselves.

I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone only kept Sebbie girls? Were they happy? We have two 8 month old Sebbie girls and they seem very unhappy without a gander. Any insight would be helpful.

2. We have possibly found a gander for them, but we are concerned that he might bully our vision impaired ducks. It would be very easy to keep him away from the chickens, so that would not be a problem, just the ducks...

Our Sebbie girls are very sweet and have never shown any aggression to our other poultry, but they are gearing up for laying, and first thought that I was their gander.... but now one has finally (after about 2 weeks of squatting for me at least two times a day) figured out that I am not her gander and so she just stands and stares at me like I have betrayed her every time I go back with them...

Thanks in advance!
    Lizzy

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't put a gander in with 2 female geese and ducks in the mix especially if 2 are vision impaired, ganders are very aggressive during mating and hatching season and My ducks have to be on their toes[so to speak] at all times.2 female geese can live very happily with out a gander.

1 person likes this.
  3. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Well stated Miss Lydia.

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I think now isn't the right time - I think you'd be better off introducing the gander when it's not mating season - the ducks would have a better chance of learning that he means business - without him actively being a jerk.

We've got 2 pairs of Sebastapols, and they're generally OK with the runner ducks, but it took a while to get to that point, and mating season does get a bit touchy.

5. DucksinOR

DucksinOR Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the input. We went and picked up our gander (a beautiful smooth breasted splash) Sunday. He completely ignores the ducks and chickens, and is the sweetest bird we have! Yesterday he climbed up into my lap and sat down. :) Our girl Sebbies are not too sure of him yet, but they are spending more time together. :) Let's hope he stays this friendly!
    Lizzy

6. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I wish you best of luck with the trio!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by